How to aquire fresh water plankton

This forum is read-only.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

How to aquire fresh water plankton

Post by pixl8r »

Greetings,

I've read through most of this forum, and have found some answers, but I want to cover all of the bases.

I want to get some species of fresh water plankton. I don't particulary like the idea of going out to harvest wild plants or take lake bed or river bed material and introduce it directly into my tanks. Who knows what little nasties I might gather.

I understand that many of these are introduced by purchasing aquatic plants, but I am not interested in trying to maintain plants, as well as shrimp. I do have java moss, but thy're as hard to keep as dandelions. ;)

I'll be greatful for any help!
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

There are several sources for cultured freshwater plankton. You'll have to figure out what species you are looking for and do a search to find them as it is against the rules to post commercial links in the forum.

Larry Vires
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

There are several suppliers I've used to get cultures of rotifer, daphnia, copepods, etc. started. The easiest is a visit to a local pond. Still if you want to buy, you can PM me, or check aquabid in the "live food" section".