Hardiness of Red Ramshorns snails

This forum is read-only.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Hardiness of Red Ramshorns snails

Post by YuccaPatrol »

We are in a severe drought here in Alabama and are under strict watering restrictions. However, my wife is an avid gardener and cannot stand to watch many thousands of dollars worth of plants die.

So we have begun recycling all of the fish tank water and are also collecting our shower water in buckets. By doing this, I can provide 30-40 gallons per day for her plants. I siphon the water into a holding tank on our deck. The soapy water is safe for the plants, but I added a bunch of duckweed to the tank to help detoxify the water naturally.

The handful of duckweed I added had some baby ramshorn snails that I didn't notice. Today I noticed that not only did I have large snails in that holding tank of soapy water, but there are lots of babies in there too.

So if you ever wondered just how hardy these snails are, now you know that they can survive just fine in soapy chlorinated tap water!

Amazingly durable little critters!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

You can't kill these critters by accident. I'm convinced of that.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Also forgot to mention that the water can get VERY warm sitting in a tub in direct sunlight all day long in Alabama!
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

I wonder if they could survive a visit from Digger (my C. quadricarinatus). He was housed in a tank that included some Mystery snails and guppies. I watched him for a few days, every time he went after a snail they retracted into their shell and pulled the flap shut. I figured they would be fine.

Well last week I noticed something odd, a snail that appeared to be injured. I looked closer and saw that Digger had broken off bits of the shell, near the spiral. He had done this so far that the snail could not retract far enough to completely protect itself. So the snails are out, and I slightly increased the amount of food he gets.

If I ever get to the point that I feel like I wouldn't mind loosing a snail or two, he may get some back in his tank.
Last edited by pixl8r on Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you get some rams, it won't be long before you have plenty to spare. man can these things breed!
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

No kiddin. I used to have a breeding tank for these guys, to feed to my Puffers.

-John
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

I agree with you. Ramhorns are so hardy.

Also, I always use my fish water to water my plants. I figure fish and shrimp waste is good fertilizer, and the water is getting recycled.