Holy *censered* I have eggs!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Holy *censered* I have eggs!

Post by Suzie Q »

Guys, A HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!!

I have a single berried (well, she has 4 eggs so far)female! I am.....I can't think straight!!!!! OMG!!!!!!

I am so excited that I can not find my camera to take pictures!!!!

It is only one, and the eggs are in her front most swimmerettes (is that the word?). She is also in the shadows, so I can not see the eggs clearly, but they are there!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all your help!
You guys are awesome!!!!!
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Wow, congratulations!

It's always rewarding to see baby shrimps...

Let us know when they hatch. :-D

-John
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

congrat
now you are hooked , and thing will become worst :lol: 8)
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

That's great news Suzie Q. Once the process starts, it should pickup quickly. Here's to your shrimp's fertility! :wink:
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

What kind of shrimp is?
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

If I read her threads correctly, they are RCS. Four is a small clutch. I've never seen a red cherry shrimp with that few. But it's her first clutch, so I guess she's starting slow :-D
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Small steps... :-D
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Baby_Girl wrote:If I read her threads correctly, they are RCS. Four is a small clutch. I've never seen a red cherry shrimp with that few. But it's her first clutch, so I guess she's starting slow :-D
You are correct...RCS. Dang it, I still can not find my camera! I don't know where I put it last!...nothing new...I lose things all the time!

I did finally see the eggs...still around 4-5 or so..not many.. and they are yellow..good sign right?! My hubby said he had seen her that way a few days ago (How could I have missed it?!), so I don't know if she just started producing them, or what.

I gotta re read to see how long it takes to hatch...21 days I think I read?
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

YES!!

You think it was the switch to prime?
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

Cactus Bastard wrote:YES!!

You think it was the switch to prime?
:oops: no...not totally anyway...i lost my new bottle of prime :oops: i had to use start right for my water change last night, so i have not started using prime yet :oops:

As soon as I find it, I WILL be switching though. I keep all my "fish stuff" in the laundry room in a plastic ben, and everything is there except the Prime....take that back...I made 1...30% water change using Prime...

Other changes I have made...
#1 NO more salt in the tank
#2 Feed more...starving shrimp will not reproduce (started feeding Microworms daily and 1/3 algae waffer every 3 days along with leaf litter for verity and free grazing)
#3 clean substrate better (had been barely surface cleaning...plants loved it, but shrimp avoided the substrate more often than not). I got a smaller syphon/cleaner thing from Walmart (ok, so I shop at walmart...who doesn't LOL) and started going about 1/4 inch into the substrate...man it was nasty! I have been doing midweek water changes to get the substrate clean, and not stress the shrimp.
#4 gave up on them breeding at all! I think this was the key (LOL...not really, just "left the tank alone" like I was told to do).

I sooooo hope my troubles are over!...well, let new ones began...I want an issue with having to many shrimp! LOL!!!!!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you got adult shrimp, rather than juvies, what is happening is to be expected. All the adult RCS I got originally died within 2 months, but not before giving me 10-15 babies. My colony grew from there. Make it a point to only buy juvies. They make the transition much better.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:If you got adult shrimp, rather than juvies, what is happening is to be expected. All the adult RCS I got originally died within 2 months, but not before giving me 10-15 babies. My colony grew from there. Make it a point to only buy juvies. They make the transition much better.
cannot be more than agree with that.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

TKD wrote:Small steps... :-D
absolutely.

Congrats, Suzie. It must be so exciting for you. I know how much you wanted this and I'm glad it's finally happening :-)
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

badflash wrote:Make it a point to only buy juvies. They make the transition much better.
I definitely agree here. Once in a while I get tempted to buy the biggest one, and I usually don't give in. I recently set up a tank for a pair of Peppermint shrimp, species Lysmata boggessi. I bought the absolute tiniest specimens they had. About the size of a smaller RCS. It hurt a little paying so much money for something so small, but they have made a good transition. Doing very well.

Sorry to go slightly off topic...

-John
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

zapisto wrote:
badflash wrote:If you got adult shrimp, rather than juvies, what is happening is to be expected. All the adult RCS I got originally died within 2 months, but not before giving me 10-15 babies. My colony grew from there. Make it a point to only buy juvies. They make the transition much better.
cannot be more than agree with that.
I am not sure WHAT mine would be called...they were so tiny that I could hardly see them..they had little to no color to them. My camera could not focus in on them. I think they were babies and not juvies. The adults that I bought from the same breeder were bigger than the ones I have now. They are still bigger then the slightly berried female. They may have been just way to young to breed plus all the other things that I changed.

It is late, and I have not slept well in 4 days, so I will say goodnight.