list of species

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

list of species

Post by zapisto »

Hello,

Where i can found a list of FW shrimp native from canada , or north america ?
and extensively a list by region of the world would be awsome also.
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Post by Pugio »

I think it's a short one as far as North America goes.

There's native Syncaris sp. up the west coast, Palaemonetes kadiakensis in the midwest from Texas to Canada, and other Palaemonetes east of the Mississippi/Eastern-seaboard from the Gulf of Mexico to at least New Jersey - plus Macrobrachium sp. scattered around (maybe even escaped from aquafarms as far north as Alberta) but not sure if Macros are native...also Xiphocaris in the Caribbean...the lake Mysids are all around.

Can't remember exactly what's in Mexico - Macrobrachium...etc.

There is a non-native, introduced shrimp species list but mostly saltwater I think:
http://nas.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/Crustaceans/shrimp.html
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I would be interested in a list as well. I live in Western Michigan and all I have been able to find are crayfish.

-John
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

There's one species that's not native to the U.S., but has been introduced to the South Eastern coast, that I would still like to get.

Penaeus monodon or Asian Tiger shrimp.
marusempai
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by marusempai »

Dude, that is one rocking shrimp, and if it's nonnative, I bet nobody would care if you "borrowed" a few. :-D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm pretty sure these need saltwater, or strong brackish water to survive.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

Macrobrachium … is represented in the United States by 6 species: M. acanthurus, M. carcinus, M. faustinum, M. heterochirus, M. ohione, and M. olfersii. River shrimps are the largest fresh-water crustaceans in North America, and specimens of the largest species, M. carcinus, can be the size of lobsters. Most of these species are distributed among the southern states of the Gulf Coastal Plain, Mexico, and the Caribbean Islands. Macrobrachium ohione is known also from the Red River drainage in Arkansas and Oklahoma, and the Mississippi River–Ohio River drainage in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

Source: Bowles, D.E., Aziz, K., Knight, C.L. (2000). Macrobrachium Bate (Crustacea: Decapoda: Palemonidae) in the contiguous United States: a review of the species and an assessment of threats to their survival. Journal of Crustacean Biology: Vol. 20, No. 1 pp. 158–171
Though M. ohione ranges from Louisiana and the Texan Gulf Coast into northeast Mexico, the other five species become much more dramatically widespread south of the United States (M. carcinus and M. acanthurus in fact range all the way down to the southern states of Brazil). In the Caribbean and Mesoamerica, these forms meet with an assortment of purely Neotropical Macrobrachium, while some Pacific-drainage analogues (e.g., M. americanum) extend as far north as Sonora and Baja California.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

badflash wrote:I'm pretty sure these need saltwater, or strong brackish water to survive.
Yes they are a species of marine prawn. But they're beautiful, and I'd set up a few tanks for them.