Orange shrimp update

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

justrick
Egg
Egg

Orange shrimp update

Post by justrick »

Since I first posted about the orange shrimp, I thought I would update on the status of them to date. In total, I purchased a total of 36 shrimp. Although I didn't have mass moltings due to stress, I did lose 3 individuals. Out of the 33 remaining, I have 5 males and 28 females. I woke up this morning to find that I now have 3 berried females. So now the wait begins.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

size of the egg please ...
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

The eggs are similar in size to other caridina shrimp species at approximately 1mm in size or smaller. The color of the eggs that I have seen so far range from a light green to a bright yellow.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

justrick wrote:The eggs are similar in size to other caridina shrimp species at approximately 1mm in size or smaller.
I'm pretty sure people want to read some kind of comparison as in "it's smaller than red cherry shrimp eggs" or "about the size of amano shrimp eggs." Caridina is a huge group of shrimp (hundreds of species), most of which actually not closely related. You can see all kinds of egg sizes among Caridina spp..
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

You are right, Mustafa, I should have been more specific as to comparison rather than actual measurements. I am still new to this, but the eggs are very similar in size to that of RCS if I can use that as a sample since it seems that these are the shrimp that most newbies as myself seem to start with.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are you absolutely sure about that? My females of the shrimp pictured above produced tiny eggs comparable to Amano shrimp eggs. By the way...RCS eggs are around 1mm long and can be even slightly longer. These eggs are considered "large" in relation to their body size. Amano shrimp eggs are about one third that... Especially if you are new it can be hard to judge exact egg size.

If you do actually have the shrimp above and have not misjudged their egg size, it's hard for me to imagine how your population can produce eggs three times as large as mine. Is there a way you can take pictures of your ovigerous females? Or any pictures of any of your shrimp so we can see if they are even the same species as the ones pictures above?
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

Hi Mustafa,

I will try and take a pic tonight and email it to you if that is OK? I am still new at this and I thank you and everyone in this forum for the great advice and well intentioned corrections of my limited knowledge.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Try to upload the picture in the "Forum User Galleries" (see button on the far left) and post a link to it or use the "IMG" button, while posting, to post an "inline" picture from that link in your message. That way everyone can take a look at it.
Last edited by Mustafa on Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

Got it. Thanks again!
Dwaffer
Egg
Egg

Post by Dwaffer »

Hi justrick,

This thread is a cliffhanger.

How did it go with your orange shrimp?
saganco
Egg
Egg

Post by saganco »

Well......?????? We're still waiting - with worms on our tongues (baited breath) :-D
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Any update on the young yet? Some of the prices being charged for this strain would not be worth it if they can't be spawned with reasonable effort.

Larry
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Maybe justrick's animals all died and he does not feel like sharing the bad news. Anyway, here is my update with pictures:

viewtopic.php?t=2616&start=15