Neocaridina mutt?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pugio
Larva
Larva

Neocaridina mutt?

Post by Pugio »

And as other people said...you're going to end up with a bunch of "mutts" anyway as all Neocaridina spp., that I am aware of, can interbreed.
~Mustafa (viewtopic.php?t=2672)

Not to misinterpret Mustafa's quote, but I think I have three of those neocaridina mutts sold to me as "Rainbow Shrimp" in LFS. Or some wild type. But when I searched for "Rainbow shrimp" (here and google) I couldn't find pics that look quite like mine but I see at least 3 species are called Rainbows. In my humble uneducated view these look like Neocaridina to me...I dunno.

I remember the LFS had all sorts of shrimp mixed in every tank - I swear the guy said the baby shrimp "get into the plumbing" and jump tanks. Don't ask me how that happens - I was confused & speechless trying to comprehend that possibility. Anyway these shrimp are all 25% bigger than my largest RCS and seem more timid (generally "hiding"). Sorry for the crummy pics - here's what I got:
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Pugio

Check out the photos here
http://www.petshrimp.com/indianwhitebandedshrimp.html

They have similar markings to the Indian White Banded Shrimp, which are some times mixed in with the " Rainbow" Shrimp.

So how big would you say they are ? A adult RCS can be as big as 1 - 1.25 inches.

I am still having a hard time telling Neocardina & Cardina apart.
I believe I am crossed eyed now from staring at my shrimp for to long.

John
Pugio
Larva
Larva

Post by Pugio »

Thanks for input. The striping in both my "Rainbow" shrimp and the Indian Whitebanded shrimp are similar. But the dorsal stripe seems more pronounced in my shrimp...perhaps related to maturity as noted in the "Shrimp Variety" page? To be honest, I'm not experienced enough to know what anatomical features are used to objectively distinguish species within the neocaridina/caridina genera...

As far as size - sorry for not being more quantitative but I'd say they're between 1 and 1.25 inches in body length. I've noted them to be bigger than the female RCS' I currently have.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Those look like my rainbow shrimp (indian)... or at least I think they are.
I have had mine since late winter and no babies yet.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Do you have any males of these? They could still be indian whitebanded dispite the slight back patterning difference to the shimp on my pictures. The indian whitebanded do come in as one of the species in "rainbow shrimp" imports.