Dead cherry shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jewel911
Egg
Egg

Dead cherry shrimp

Post by jewel911 »

I found a dead cherry under a clump of weeping moss it was a berried female it looked like she was trying to molt or did molt sinze her body was really mushy gel like.The parameters are good 0am,0nitrite,and 10nitrate the temp is 78F .When i was taking her body out the egg saddle felled of and it was still complete what could have happened?The body didnt even look like a cherry it was reallly mushy so i had to take it out by siphoning it. This really worries me, i never add ferts to the tank the only thing i added was some anaechis,red ludwigia,and some dried leaves as leave litters.What happened? The tank is a 15 gal and has a sponge filter it houses about 30 cherries. Thanks
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Sometimes they just get old, have a bad molt, and die. Or as they get old they get an infection of somekind.

Your water parameters look good though, so I don't think that was a problem.
pixl8r
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by pixl8r »

As a precaution keep a close watch on the water params for the next week. I think that older shrimp are more susceptible to environmental toxins. It could also likely be just as bulrush said, she died of old age. RCS only live around 12 to 18 months.
jewel911
Egg
Egg

Post by jewel911 »

Thanks guys everything is looking better they have mated and i have 6 berried females now i added an extra hob filter and added a sponge to it have been gettig cyclops and planaria in the tank too.I guess it was that might have been old thanks anyways. :-D