bamboo shrimp emergency

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Moni
Egg
Egg

bamboo shrimp emergency

Post by Moni »

first of all here is my urgent question- Can a bamboo shrimp be safely kept with cherry red shrimp that I'm trying to breed? There are no babies yet but I'm hoping for some.

here's the story-
Several weeks ago I bought a small bamboo shrimp. It's about 1 1/2 inches. I thought he would do nicely in my 20 gallon neon tetra tank when I read that they get fairly big but are harmless. He hid almost all of the time and then I didn't see him anymore. Yesterday I was cleaning the hang on back filter and he was in there behind the filter cartridge. When I tried to gently remove the cartridge to get him out he jumped to the floor and hopped under my dressor. I was able to retreive him by removing the bottom drawer. I hope he can recover from all this. :? My next dilema was deciding which of my 8 tanks to put him in. I first tried the 15 gal snail tank. There are a few livebearer young in there and he acted quite scared. He latched onto the side of a large columbian ramshorn and rode around on it for a long time. *I've got a pic of this I will load up later. So I removed him from that tank and decided the best place for him would be with the CRS since there are good little things to eat growing in there like algae and cyclops and no fish to bother him. I'm just concerned that he might eat future tiny shrimp babies. Upon searching I read that bamboo shrimp do not bother fry but I can't find anything about shrimplets.
I'm new and have not been able to get the "AND" feature to work during searches in the discussion forum section. So I'm getting hundreds of posts coming up and can't narrow down my search to say " bamboo AND shrimp AND cherry. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I have found this to be the best site for shrimp information. I've learned a lot already.
Thanks Moni
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: bamboo shrimp emergency

Post by zapisto »

Moni wrote:first of all here is my urgent question- Can a bamboo shrimp be safely kept with cherry red shrimp that I'm trying to breed? There are no babies yet but I'm hoping for some.
dont see what is the urgency but here my answer
Yes.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

"Petshrimp.com Discussion Forum
THE forum on the internet dedicated to freshwater shrimp and other aquatic invertebrates!"

Try searching for bamboo AND cherry :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

bamboos should be kept away from fish, but are fine with cherries and snails. Fish really stress them out.
Moni
Egg
Egg

Post by Moni »

Thank you all for the help. That's a relief. I didn't really think it was going to happen but a small part of me was afraid I would wake up to find the bamboo had eaten some of my smaller shrimp during the night. The bamboo shrimp will now have a permanent "fish free" home with the cherrys. He's back hiding in the filter again. This time it's a much smaller filter too(bubbler type with a sponge in it). He's a real filter feeder :wink: That new search worked for me. I think I had too many Ands in there the first time. Now I'm going to research some more stuff :D I also have an interest in how snails can benefit a shrimp tank.

Moni
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

snails eat un-eaten food and shrimp poop. This keeps the water clean if you over feed.