Will leaving an algea wafer in the tank matter? (ammonia?)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

schism
Egg
Egg

Will leaving an algea wafer in the tank matter? (ammonia?)

Post by schism »

What I mean is, I just got my CRS yesterday and I bought Algea wafers today. They're little still so I only put about half a wafer in, but my question is, if my shrimp eat algea as a main staple of their diet is it ok to let the uneaten parts of the piece of wafer sit? I know it will make more algea grow but thats ok because its a shrimp tank right? Or will this boost the ammonia levels?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

It is best to only feed what will be eaten within 20 minutes.

And Algae Waffers are not all "Algae" there are alot of filler added.

I would suggest to take the remaining waffer out and feed less at the next feeding.

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi schism,

I believe the left over algae waffer will foul the water and raise the ammonia levels. The wafer is made of processed (dead) algae which will act like any other dead/decaying matter.
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Neonshrimp wrote: The wafer is made of processed (dead) algae.
And cardboard :)

I agree, don't leave it in. One of the biggest causes of death is overfeeding and not removing leftovers.

Dan
schism
Egg
Egg

Post by schism »

Thanks guys! I know I have quite a few ameturish questions.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

However, using the search will give you lots more answers faster. This one has been asked & answered many times.

If you are a person that just can't help over feeding, get yourself a few red rams horn snails. They are quite pretty snails and once you get a fair number of them, they will finish off extra food before it can foul the water. These snails are easy to sell or give away too. The brown version and the lowly pond snail do just as well, but they are ugly and only good for puffer food when you get too many.

Don't mix these with MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) as they will drill the rams shells and make them unsellable. I'll post a pic in the "other inverts section" to show you want I mean.