Shrimp Diet

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

francis
Larva
Larva

Shrimp Diet

Post by francis »

Hi! I'm experimenting :) with feeding different types of vegetables, fruits and off-the-shelf shrimp pellets.

So far, I've tried the following :

1) Organic spinach
2) Organic tomatoes
3) Novo Shrimp pellets
4) Dried leaves

My CRS, Long Nose and RCS seems to love them.

Anyone care to share their experience?

I read somewhere breeders are feeding mangoes!

Cheers
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi francis,

I have for the most part stayed with prepared dried foods such as pellets and dried sea weed. They seem to like Hakari crab cuisine the best. Which foods have you found you shrimp to like more than others? Are each type of shrimp particular about what they eat or do they all prefer the same foods? The reason why I am asking is because I would like to try to feed my shrimp some home prepared foods.
I read somewhere breeders are feeding mangoes!
There was a resent discussion on this very site about foods with sugars and starches in them. badflash mentioned that they cloud the water and could cause a bacterial bloom.

Thanks for sharing and opening such an important topic "FOOD"!
francis
Larva
Larva

Post by francis »

Hi! I must say it's the tomatoes. Must stress on organic vegetatbles. Need to ensure no pesticides/chemicals. I boil the tomatoe slices to soften it and leave it overnight. Most of the time, 2/3 will be finish! Checked water perimeters and all is stable thus not polluting.

Why I started to experimenting... is because what will happen to us if we start eating the same dishes over and over again! Pretty sure would rather jump of a cliff (or out the aquarium for the shrimps) :-D

Hope to hear more on this and will start experimenting more varieties!
francis
Larva
Larva

Post by francis »

[quote="Neonshrimp"]Hi francis,

Are each type of shrimp particular about what they eat or do they all prefer the same foods?

The RS and Long Nose seem to love tomatoes and CRS prefers Spinach.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi! I must say it's the tomatoes. Must stress on organic vegetatbles. Need to ensure no pesticides/chemicals.
:shock: Very important point. We need to be careful as these pesticides/chemicals will really hurt the shrimp.

So the tomatoes are the food of choice :D I will have to try this for my little ones.
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

Just remember that "organic" does NOT mean pesticide-free. It only means that there are restrictions on which pesticides can legally be used. Pyrethrins, for example, which are plant-derived, are allowed.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Pyrethrins, for example, which are plant-derived, are allowed.
Hi lampeye, are Pyrethrins toxic to inverts?
francis
Larva
Larva

Post by francis »

lampeye wrote:Just remember that "organic" does NOT mean pesticide-free. It only means that there are restrictions on which pesticides can legally be used. Pyrethrins, for example, which are plant-derived, are allowed.
Thanks for the information. Will check with my organic shop if they use Pyrethrins. Was informed they do not use any chemicals at all. Do advise if it's toxic? So far, I've not have any casualties. Hope not to have Ninja-Shrimps later on! :wink:
Jep
Egg
Egg

Post by Jep »

I'm using Novo Shrimp as well. Have been for quite a while and find that the shrimp love them. I sprinkle them over an area of long Jave Moss in my community aquarium, where they sink quite well into the moss. The young shrimps are able to get to them without being bothered too much by the frogs and fish. In fact, they are breeding far more and the young reach adulthood faster and in much greater numbers since I have adopted this method.
In the shrimp only aquarium, I drop a few into a weighted plastic bottle top at the front of the tank, where they quickly gather in vast numbers. It's my way of monitoring them feed and it keeps the aquarium tidy as I'm using under-gravel filtration.
Other foods I seem to have practically stopped using, but I do throw in a couple of pre-soaked dry Quercus Robur leaves when required. Both aquariums seem to produce their own supply of shrimp food from the mosses, algae etc.
Incidently, apart from a few Bamboo shrimp, I only keep Red Cherry Shrimp these days to which the above refers.
Best regards.
Jep.
francis
Larva
Larva

Re: Shrimp Diet

Post by francis »

The latest updated list of diet is as follows :

1) Organic spinach
2) Organic tomatoes
3) Novo Shrimp pellets
4) Dried leaves (Oak, Hibiscus)
5) Mangoes
6) Dried Seaweed
7) Hakari Crab Cuisine

Anyone else care to add to the list?
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

I would say pyrethrins are invert-toxic. They are used a lot in flea sprays and I believe they're generally based at arthropods. Shrimp being in that group I would think it's equally lethal to them.

Since they are indeed naturally-derived (and are actually produced by citrus plants as a natural defense against pests), pyrethrins and permethrins are probably not as devastating as the Advantage flea product that another member recently reported on. But it's still not something I'd use in my tank room.
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

i dont directly feed my shrimp at the moment i have some fish in there and feed them some fishfood flake, wich some may sink to the bottom and they may eat it but alot of the time the shrimp swim to the top and grab a flake and then perch themselves on some grass or a rock and munch away at the flake food and seem healthy enough tho. i will be watching this topic and if some foods seem to wok really well i will concider feeding them to my shrimp :) .
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

I dont feed my shrimp
I just pay attention to the water quality

Are you testing different foods to see if certain types better maximize growth?
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

think i heard somewhere that garlic was good for shrimp / fish. dont know if its true tho
Jep
Egg
Egg

Post by Jep »

Mordaki wrote:think i heard somewhere that garlic was good for shrimp / fish. dont know if its true tho
That's new to me, though it sounds nice for a barbeque recipe; garlic shrimp or salmon steaks with garlic.
I wouldn't dream of trying it personally.

Best regards
Jep
:D