Ghost shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Ghost shrimp

Post by LillianDouglas »

:-D Hello,My name is .Lillian I'm trying to learn all I can About .Ghost Shrimp. First thing I want to know is. Do you know any thing about .Zebra.or the cherrys.Or the orange & purples are they dyed or natural., What size do they get.& what do they look like when they .Molt.Are they okay in a small tank .2.5 .& how many can I get in .A tank that small .And last but not least which can put together .And which ones you can't .,Thanks Lilly
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

id recommend using the search feture on forums and looking in the shrimp varieties first :D most of the info you are asking for will more than likley allready of been disgussed
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, Lillian, the search feature here is your friend. And while you're at it, go to the "RULES" section of this forum and read it thoroughly once again. It will make things a whole lot easier for everyone.
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

From.Lilly

Post by LillianDouglas »

Okay i'll read them again.,Lily :D
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Rules,

Post by LillianDouglas »

I read the rules .And I understand them .Thanks.I'm working on getting some 'Cherrys ' .But I have to have my tank set-up for 2 weeks.I have 2 feeders guppys in it so far .To get my tank started. .,Thanks.,Lilly :D
guntank0079
Larva
Larva

Post by guntank0079 »

Lilly,

Being patient is the one of the keys to be success.
Normally, having a tank set-up for only 2 weeks is not enough (unless you have done some tricks to have the tank maturing faster...).

Better hold off the idea to "dump" everything too early together (although many others, including me, have done that.) , or you will walk the hard way...

Use the time now to do more research before you start, as you have narrowed down to Cherries.
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Thanks,

Post by LillianDouglas »

What other kind of ghost shrimp are there.And I put 2 feeders guppys in there .To jump start it .And I have set-up for 3 weeks now.And would there be okay with the guppys.And I think feeders are pretty ha. And are the oranges and purples .' Dyed.,Lilly :D
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

G.Shrimp

Post by LillianDouglas »

How are things going ? Here fine .I'm going to be getting some 'Cherrys ' .And maybe some of the others., Oh and many kinds of Ghost shrimp are there. And Happy Holidays :D
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

I have been researching Palaemonetes species for awhile now in hopes that I can raise a bit of awareness for this shrimp, it seems a lot of people just consider these species to be disposable. No shrimp is disposable.

In my research I have not come across any brightly colored varieties of Palaemonetes. They may be dyed, but I would bet they are actually a different genus altogether and not really ghost shrimp.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The term "ghost shrimp" is a descriptive on and not a sppecific species or even genus name. There are probably a dozen varieties of shrimp call "ghost" or "glass" shrimp. Any shrimp that you can see through is sometimes called that.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Thanks,

Post by Neonshrimp »

LillianDouglas wrote:What other kind of ghost shrimp are there.And I put 2 feeders guppys in there .To jump start it .And I have set-up for 3 weeks now.And would there be okay with the guppys.And I think feeders are pretty ha. And are the oranges and purples .' Dyed.,Lilly :D
Hi Lily, The guppies will stress the shrimp out and cause them to hide most of the time.

About jump starting a tank to get it ready sooner, I have used badflash's technique of getting a sponge from an established tank and squeezing it into the new tank. This provides instant bacteria and other microorganisms needed :wink:
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Ghost Shrimp

Post by LillianDouglas »

Later on "im going to be moving my guppy to another tank once I get the Cherrys .Oh one of my guppys dyed on me.But that happens.ha.,Lilly :D
mduros
Egg
Egg

Re: Ghost Shrimp

Post by mduros »

LillianDouglas wrote:Later on "im going to be moving my guppy to another tank once I get the Cherrys .Oh one of my guppys dyed on me.But that happens.ha.,Lilly :D
Lillian,
You don't have to have anything die on you if you cycle your tanks correctly, changing water when you see levels of ammonia or nitrite above 0. You need to have a water test kit to check your water especially in the initial setup stages. Shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions, moreso than most fish, so just be certain your water parameters are good before adding your shrimp.
Take care,
Mary.
Last edited by mduros on Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LillianDouglas
<b>BANNED</b>

Ghosts,

Post by LillianDouglas »

Can you tell me if the 'Oranges & purple are dyed. And what other colors are there.,Oh and 'HAPPY HOLIDAYS' .,Lilly :D
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

They probably are not dyed. Do you have photos?