african dwarf frogs and cherry shrimps

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

lordcycle
Egg
Egg

african dwarf frogs and cherry shrimps

Post by lordcycle »

have any of you tried to house them together? i have 2 dwarf frogs and ten cherry shrimps and i notice my dwarf frogs are really inerested in them and they try to leap at the shrimp i don't know if there trying to eat them or it's just a warning to back off but i was wondering if anyone has had a dwarf frog actually eat a shrimp? the shrimp seem to fast for the frogs to catch them but i'm planning on breeding these shrimps and i'm hoping the shrimplets are just as fast as the adults.
Jep
Egg
Egg

Post by Jep »

They're most definitely trying to eat them! Since you already have them together, I would recommend providing the shrimp with plenty of cover if you can't keep them in separate tanks.
Best regards.
Jep.
:-)
lordcycle
Egg
Egg

Post by lordcycle »

yeah i have a bunch of rocks and fake plants they can hide in. i'm not too worried because i know the shrimp are faster but i was more curious to see if the frogs intention was to eat them.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Worried or not, the frogs will win and your shrimp will be a tasty memory.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:Worried or not, the frogs will win and your shrimp will be a tasty memory.
ho yeah
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

badflash wrote:Worried or not, the frogs will win and your shrimp will be a tasty memory.
at the very least, even if the shrimp somehow survive, they will live a miserable existence in constant fear and you wouldn't get to appreciate their natural behavior or beauty :( I find shrimp most enjoyable when they're not constantly skittish and jerking away from every touch.
guntank0079
Larva
Larva

Post by guntank0079 »

Seperate them!
The Cherries are constantly living in fear; as you may have noticed, their color fades when they are in stress.
Especially you are planning to bleed them, the adults may be ok, but not the babies...
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

well i know if they are the same type of frogs i used to have they are carnivores so will try and eat your shrimp if not then they will get the babies. as for how fast the babys are when my green shrimp bread thair babys diddnt seem verry fast but none of my shrimp "race" around now they are in a shrimp only tank they seem to take it nice and easy. if i was you i would really consider m aking a shrimp only tank they are soo much better off that way and thair "attitude" totally changes they are less shy thair colours come out more and they become more active from my experiences anyway.
Shaun
Egg
Egg

Re: african dwarf frogs and cherry shrimps

Post by Shaun »

If you have a snail problem, these frogs will eat the eggs before they hatch. I just watched mine do it. In a different tank, not with my RCS.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the tip, another way to control the snail population.
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

Its just sad that you guys can keep something nice like an African dwarf frog, yet it is illegal to keep it in an African country... Its like you will find more Tanganyikan Cichlids species available in America than in a country a few thousand miles away from Tanzania...