Dark Blue Shrimp Caridina sp.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Dark Blue Shrimp Caridina sp.

Post by southerndesert »

There is a seller at one of the auction sites selling what he calls Dark Blue Shrimp Caridina sp....He then uses a link to Mustafa's varieties page and says they are a blue type Malaya Shrimp.

Breed true? Any info at all or simply buyer beware? Is there really an all blue Malaya?

Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There is no blue Malaya shrimp. Some of my individuals can turn bluish but there is no blue strain of these guys. Please send me a private message with the link to the auction so I can take a look at it and inform the seller that he/she does not have malaya shrimp.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

PM sent... By the way my Malaya are doing fine and should be breeding soon...

Bill
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

southerndesert wrote:PM sent... By the way my Malaya are doing fine and should be breeding soon...

Bill
you bougth them from mustafa,
great , this shrimp are amazing... really funny and nice.
there are very hardy also.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Yes they are Zapisto and I like the colors they display as well. I am very glad I decided to get some from Mustafa. This site and it's search feature has already kept me from making some purchases I would have regretted I think.

Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I looked at the auction and those "blue Caridina sp." are definitely NOT Malaya shrimp. They look like a bunch of imported blue Neocaridina sp. (=offspring are NOT blue) which are described on the shrimp varietes page here. Why can't people just be honest and say "i don't know what species this is" or "it's probably the blue Neocaridina sp. described on Petshrimp.com" instead of making up stuff? I guess that would not sell as well to unassuming shrimp buyers. :roll: What kills me is that people are using my website to MISLEAD others.... "I thought I had blue Malayas..." is not an excuse whatsoever in cases, such as this one, where one can just go on a website and find out right away if one has malaya shrimp or not. BUYER BEWARE!!

Anyway, good to read that your (southerndesert's) malayas are doing well! :) We need as many populations as possible of these guys to keep the species going in the hobby.

PS: I just sent a message to the auction seller asking him/her to delete the claim that they are malaya shrimp and add the fact that they blue, imported Neocaridina sp. whose offspring are NEVER blue. Let's see what happens....
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Mustafa, I was wondering what your policy is regarding other people linking your pages in their auction ads? I would think they should AT LEAST write to you to get your permission.

I, for one, would be FUMED at people (mis-)using my hard-learned info to make financial gain.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I usually let people link to information on my website because I figure that it will at least benefit the buyer to know as much as possible about what they buying. What I obviously don't like is when someone claims to be something that's either imaginary or just plain not what the person is claiming and then uses a link to my website to "flesh out" the claim. That's just plain wrong and irresponsible.

By the way, I still have not received a reply from the seller. If I don't get any email back from this seller by tomorrow early afternoon I will just have to issue a huge BUYER BEWARE YOU'RE BEING INTENTIONALLY MISLED warning right here in the forum.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

Mustafa wrote:I usually let people link to information on my website because I figure that it will at least benefit the buyer to know as much as possible about what they buying.
that's very generous of you.

If I ever want to link your articles in my auction ads, I will be sure to get your permission first. :-)