Look at my Black/Blue shrimp.....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Look at my Black/Blue shrimp.....

Post by wskurdahl »

So I noticed these two black/dark blue shrimp in my green shrimp tank a few weeks ago. They have grown since them but are still the same color. I know sometime baby green shrimp are reddish but as far as I know they aren't normally this color. Anyone seen something like this before? I had a hard time getting pics but I think you guys can get the idea. They also have a greyish looking stripe down their back....they are SO cool looking in person.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:o Woh, that is neat! You can selectively breed them and see if you can get more black shrimp from the population.

Thanks for the pictures.
Corydoras seracin
Egg
Egg

Post by Corydoras seracin »

Very nice & interesting pictures. I also think that you should try to breed them. Thanks alot for sharing. ;)
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

Ya I plan to separate them and try selectively breeding them if they don't change color on me when they get larger. Hopefully I have a male and female.
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

they are cool i hope it is a new colour morph and you can selectivley breed them they would be cool you could call them something like ... i dunno i would of said ninja shrimp but that is taken by the well ninja shrimp lol... anyway that is a cool looking shrimp and hope you have a male and female and get them to breed true to that colour.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If you don't have a male and female black shrimp you can breed them with a few green shrimp of the opposite sex and see if you then get more black shrimp from the offspring. These black offspring can then be used to selectively breed.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

Wow! Those are really dark.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Awesome, I have seen photos online of a handfull of different types of black shrimp, I love them. It just does not seem to be a color naturally seen that often.
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Re: Look at my Black/Blue shrimp.....

Post by wskurdahl »

Some new pictures.....I am finally seperating them into another tank. When I was taking them out I noticed a third black/blue one. I am also adding a few green females to the tank.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Interesting, please let us know if they breed and what type of offspring you get.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This is very interesting. Definitely keep us up to date with your progress with these shrimp. I have had species before (and still have one) that look like green shrimp but can be different colors, including black and bluish. I have a suspicion, not confirmed yet, that they can crossbreed with the "common" green shrimp. Your black/blue shrimp may be a product of such crossbreeding or may just be a color variation and/or mutation. Interesting either way.
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

That little black shrimp is a BEAUTY!!
aberfitch
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by aberfitch »

so is there an actual catagory this shrimp fits into?
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

aberfitch

Are there any updates on these Shrimp ?

JOhn
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

I separated them and they died in the new tank :(. Hopefully more appear from my green shrimp