Help with 2 IDs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Yellow_Fish
Egg
Egg

Help with 2 IDs

Post by Yellow_Fish »

Hello All,

I've read through quite a lot of information on this forum, and have found it to be very helpful in trying to keep our shrimp tank happy and healthy. I've been wondering what 2 of the shrimps are that we've got, and the first one I'm pretty sure I have a lock on. However, the second one I'm having more trouble with.

#1 - Possibly a Macrobrachium Lanchesteri
This shrimp came from a tank of other 'feeder' glass shrimps, but once I saw the size of him I had to take him home. The LFS guy told me that he didn't know why i was taking that one as it would likely die in a week or two, and now having moulted several times in the last few months and increased his size, hes the king of the tank. He generally chases the smaller shrimp around, and sits near the top layer of the plants. After reading, I thought he could be Macrobrachium Lanchesteri or Rosenbergii, but he seems to match closer to the images for the Lanchesteri. About 1.5~2" long now

#2 - Unknown, possibly a Macrobrachium Pilimanus?
The second shrimp is more of an unknown, and was purchased as a 'Tiger' shrimp (however isn't anywhere near the profile for that kind at all). There are actually two, one with very large claws, and one with much smaller claws. They were much lighter when first purchased, however the larger has molted in the last week, and the claws are blue and fuzzy as shown in the pictures below. These shrimp seem not to like the light, and have made themselves a home in a piece of mossy wood with only the striped antenna poking out. I have been trying to match them to images, but can't find a match -- its the claw and the antennas that are throwing me, but the closest i could find was the Pillimanus or Chameleon. The assumed male is about 1.5" long, and the possible male is about 1". Here are some images of him.

Any help with IDs is greatly appreciated! :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Help with 2 IDs

Post by badflash »

Welcome to the foorum, and VERY cool shrimp too. The first is certainly a long-arm, but not a rosenbergii. No clue on the 2nd either, but sounds like you have a male & female.
Mayko
Egg
Egg

Post by Mayko »

That long armed one is very neat looking. I hope I stumble on some cheap mis-identified shrimp. Great find.

Sorry I can't be of any help IDing them, I'm very new to shrimp keeping.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The second one looks like what's sold as "Chameleon Shrimp/Macro" and is from India/south Asia. No clue about the first one...there are tons of Macro species out there and very few have actually made it into the hobby.
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi!

The shrimp on the second, 3rd and 4th picture is Macrobrachium jacobsoni HOLTHUIS, 1950.

Cheers
Werner
Yellow_Fish
Egg
Egg

Post by Yellow_Fish »

Thanks everyone for your help with the IDs, i really appreciate it :)