Malaya Larvae

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Malaya Larvae

Post by southerndesert »

Hi Mustafa and All,

Well day 16 was a magical day and I now have Malaya Larvae from my first berried female. There are a few floating here and there in the water current as well as a few on the sponge filter. Photos were rough to get, but I did my best.

So far so good and in a few days if all goes well baby shrimp should be showing up!

I guess a small...WOO-HOO is in order :lol:

Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Malaya Larvae

Post by Neonshrimp »

WOO-HOO and congratulations! Keep us updated.

Great pictures by the way, thanks :D
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

A big WOO-HOO :smt026 from NM. It is good to see pictures of what the larvae look like as well.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Thanks All,

I think I got very lucky and got up today just after the young were hatched so I got to see a few. They are all out of site now and I guess I won't have much to report until I see shrimplets....

It has been really neat raising these Malaya Shrimp from very young juveniles to adults and a successful hatching of the young. I hope my luck holds and the babies stay healthy as well.

Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congratulations! :)
geo
Egg
Egg

Post by geo »

Congrads. I hope to be successful soon with breeding my Ghost Shrimp (I'm a shrimp newbie).

Peace, Geo
Mayko
Egg
Egg

Post by Mayko »

woo-hoo! I am interested in seeing them develop. Now, do ghost shrimp go through a similar larval stage? Or, do they need more care/attention to make it to shrimplets. I am interested in setting up a colony of them as I just purchased a 60gal tank for my fish so now I have a 29 planted, cycled, and ready to fill with shrimp :smt041

congrats

mayko
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Today we have legs on the young Malaya and they are moving around a bit as well....

Glass has bio-film inside so a clear photo wouldn't happen, but you can just make out the legs.

Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is cool, they also have stripes already!
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

If the little critter looks strange it is because it was actually on the glass and that is a bottom view :lol: 3 more are currently berried so there will be quite a population explosion soon...

It is definitely cool.

Bill
HellRaizer
Egg
Egg

Post by HellRaizer »

wow Bill, this a truely amazing photo journal of these shrimp, realy makes me wish i could get hold of some of these guys!
well done on all the babies, may there be thousands more!
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

southerndesert wrote:If the little critter looks strange it is because it was actually on the glass and that is a bottom view
I know, I noticed that. I like seeing shrimp from the underside, it looks so cool. Thanks again for keeping a great journal of this process which is new to the hobby! 8)
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Today (day 3) the larvae are looking much more like little shrimp and when I say little I mean it! I thought other shrimp had small young until now... Anyway they still float around a bit if disturbed and are very fast when they feel threatened shooting away faster than a person can see...er...an older person anyway :-D After seeing this behavior I felt less worried about their survival for some reason. There is just so many other critters and snails in my shrimp tanks to worry even after Mustafa said not to was natural beings how I am still new to shrimp in my opinion. Seeing that they are not defenseless though was interesting and apparently they see quite well because twice when trying to get the camera lens up to the glass they shoot away.

I can't get them to hold still in a good photo spot, but I'll keep trying. Earlier they floated around with the tail more or less straight out, but now it is curved down as would be expected. There seem to be no problems so far and this has been quite interesting...

:?: Hello Mustafa,

Is it safe to do a water change? Other than the obvious of not sucking them into the hose... Just curious if it would hurt the young at all in your opinion.

More to come, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

southerndesert wrote:
:?: Hello Mustafa,

Is it safe to do a water change? Other than the obvious of not sucking them into the hose... Just curious if it would hurt the young at all in your opinion.

More to come, Bill
Depends on how different your water is from the tank water (chemistry, temperature etc.) and how much you change. If it's a small water change (10-15%) it should be fine. I would wait a few more days until the larvae/shrimp have molted a few more times (you won't see them molt, but they are molting). If the adult shrimp are acting fine, there is obviously nothing wrong with the water.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Thank you Mustafa for answering my question...Day 5 and another "on the glass" view. There are a couple dozen of these little guys buzzing around the tank now and they have as you can see become what most would recognize as baby shrimp and is about 2mm in size. Should have another batch by Tuesday or so...

This has been a really neat experience and in my opinion Malaya Shrimp are one of the more interesting in the hobby. I have several different successful breeding colonies of shrimp now, but the Malaya Shrimp have been by far more rewarding watch berry and have young. They are now also swimming around and not at the mercy of the current.

Cheers, Bill