ID Help Please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

ID Help Please

Post by sstimac »

I know there are a million ID posts, but I think I have exhausted my resources. I used the search function and I also did research on the internet outside of this site. Here is my mystery shrimp. I bought it with some ghost shrimp three months ago. I picked this one and two others out of the lot because They did not look like the other Ghosts, which are probably paludosis. This shrimp has yellow/brown color with black and brown dots covering the length of its body. It is currently just under 5cm, it was about 3 when I bought it. It has the general appearance of a paludosis except for its color, it also has the red bracelets. It is very shy, hiding most of the day. It does come out at night. He is also pretty aggressive which can be expected from Paleamonids.

Can anyone point me in the proper direction?
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: ID Help Please

Post by zapisto »

wow
pretty neat shrimp.
it is why i always have a look in the ghost shrimp tank when i stop at petshop :)
for you ID i will not be very usefull, but the rostrum of this shrimp is pretty cool.
hoe you will found the id , and i hope you get lucky and have both sex assuming they reproduce in freshwater .

thanks
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Unfortunately, this is the only one. The other two died within about a week. I am keeping my eyes peeled for other ones though.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

This is a "ghost shrimp" (Palaemonetes paludosus) that is not doing all that well (hence the weird coloration). Healthy ones are always clear and vibrant.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Mustafa wrote:This is a "ghost shrimp" (Palaemonetes paludosus) that is not doing all that well (hence the weird coloration). Healthy ones are always clear and vibrant.
thanks mustafa
i dont dont why people treat the "ghost shrimp" like that , i found this shrimp have very interesting behavior and is really a cool shrimp to try.
Ok Ok not so colorfull , but colour is not the only things in beauty/interest parameters in my point of view.

anyway thanks
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Then he has not been doing well since October, over three months. He has also grown a centimeter larger while not doing well.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

sstimac wrote:Then he has not been doing well since October, over three months. He has also grown a centimeter larger while not doing well.
Do you know how many times I have already heard this? And do you know how many times I have said the same thing? You may want to do a few searches. If I collected a dollar for every time someone with a sick shrimp says "I have a new color variety/I have discovered a new species of shrimp" I would have probably become a very rich person by now.

Just like terminal people can live for years, so can sick shrimp (edit: for weeks and months in their case). I have had a few of these "weird" ghost shrimp myself for weeks and months. I don't think replying sarcastically is is appropriate here at all. If you think you know better, then fine..but then why ask the question in the first place if you think you know better anyway. I can take a horse to the water, but I can't *force* it to drink.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

Mustafa wrote:I don't think replying sarcastically is is appropriate here at all. If you think you know better, then fine..but then why ask the question in the first place if you think you know better anyway.
I did not intend it to sound sarcastic, I apologize if it came across that way. I was merely stating that it has been this way for several months. I asked because I did know whether this was a paludosis or not. I accept your response and I value your judgement in these matters. I did not post this question in other forums because this one is the most imformed, even among the German forums. Futher, I never implied that I knew better, if I had I would not have posted the questions that I did, I would have made statements.
Mustafa wrote:I can take a horse to the water, but I can't *force* it to drink.
I know you mean well by comments such as these, but I am no horse. I am not that stubborn. I am here to learn.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

I was also a bit surprised because I have never had an ill shrimp successfully molt, they have died before molting.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

There is a whole strain of Neocaridina shrimp called "white Okayama shrimp" who has this kind of parasite. Shrimp, mostly the males turn white after a while and can live quite a long time in that condition. An apparantly quite stable relationship between parasite and shrimp has been established, people were able to breed these for many generations and kept the parasite alive in their strain. However it still is a parasite that eventually will kill one shrimp or the other once in a while. It is even possible to transfer the parasite to other shrimp species!

It might be a very interesting thing for scientific studies, however for any shrimp hobbyist, I can only recommend to keep away, as other shrimp populations might be infested.
sstimac
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by sstimac »

I hope whatever is wrong with this shrimp is not contagious, it is living with my cherry shrimp.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Hi All,

I also had Ghost Shrimp change color and live for weeks or even months before they died. I even excitedly posted here about it and learned my new color shrimp was perhaps in trouble, but naturally I was hoping all were wrong and mine was going to live. Mustafa and the rest here kind enough to chip in their advise were correct and the shrimp died....

Cheers, Bill
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for sharing with us Bill.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

You are welcome Neonshrimp,

I have learned much from you and others here and in my opinion this is one of the best places to learn about as well as talk about Dwarf Shrimp on the web. When I need an answer I search here first then if no results simply ask and I have always gotten an answer. Me? I like it here! What is available here is answers and suggestions made by folks that have "been there done that" with no "guesses" that could lead to disaster. Trust me when I say I have hoped you all were wrong once or twice, but...well...you knew what you were talking about. There is NO substitute for experience....

Now that I have also gained some experience I like to be able to share what I can....

Thanks Mustafa and All!

Cheers, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

@sstimac

No problem at all. Misunderstandings (especially when it comes to tone of voice) can happen easily over the internet. I just wanted to drive the point home that there is no about the fact that the shrimp is diseased and not some new type of shrimp. In the past there have been many people insisting on the fact that they had a new type of shrimp even when told by me (and 10 different people) that their shrimp is sick. My "tone of voice" (i.e. style of writing) online can feel harsh to some people, but there is really no super warm and fuzzy way of saying "You're wrong...(and this is why)." :wink: :-D I'm glad you take it the right way, though. Many people out there are not willing to learn and hate being told they are wrong.

@southerndesert/Bill

You're welcome! Glad to help. I'm learning something new all the time myself so the learning never stops and never should stop! We all help each other one way or another. That's what this forum is all about.