Am I being overly worried about some RCS deaths? Help!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Scipio
Egg
Egg

Am I being overly worried about some RCS deaths? Help!

Post by Scipio »

Hello,

Just a few minutes ago a saw a small 1/2 cm long rcs turn over and die :cry: during feeding time. This is my second death that I know of in my 125g planted tank. There are 82 rcs (that I know of) and 7 amanos only. The amanos have been in the tank for almost 4 years, the rcs have been in here exacly 1 week. Out of the 85 only 1 died in the shipping and yesterday I found one dead. I check my water and everything checks out fine... all the shrimps are acting fine, swimming, creeping, eatting and several have moulted it seems from the empty skins. I keep telling myself that in one weeks time two deaths is nothing if the rest are doing fine and that maybe those 2 where just a bit weak. Am I overly worring or should I should I be worried since I have read that rcs are as hardy as they come for shrimps.

I mean I was watching the little shrimp fight over a small Micro Crab cyclop-eeze granule with another larger rcs and then he just turned over and died :x My temp is 76, ph at 7.5, no nitrite detected, no amonia and nitrates are almost 0 cause my plants use it all up. Now I find my self scanning the entire monster of tank looking for dead shrimps and have found no other but I keep going back and forth looking and frankly its stressing me out :oops:

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Am I being overly worried about some RCS deaths? Help!

Post by badflash »

Probably shipping stress, though it is odd with the little guys. They can die from stress up to a month after you get them. Be carefull of over feeding.
Scipio
Egg
Egg

Post by Scipio »

A month :shock: Tha means I have 3 weeks left till the stress danger level is past. Well on the bright side several of the larger females have saddles now.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I agree with badflash that STRESS is the cause of death. You have no idea what the shrimp went through during the shipping. There is no set time where the shrimp recovers from stress so just make sure you give them good quality conditions to live in.