Interesting shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Interesting shrimp

Post by southerndesert »

A couple of these shrimp showed up mixed with my Cardinals...Only see two and will separate them into their own tank soon. Hope there is a male and female :wink:

Anyone seen any info on this one yet?

Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Interesting shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

No info on them anywhere, but I have one that also came with what's currently called "cardinal shrimp" (unfortunately, the cardinals were in bad shape and died off one by one within a few days). It had eggs, which hatched, and I have been spotting a few young for about 3-4 days now. I've only seen 2-3 so far, but maybe there are more. I hope that they survive and at least one of them turns out to be a male. I'll post a picture or two of this shrimp as it's a spectacular blood-red when it's fully colored out. If yours turns out to be a male and my young don't make it, maybe we can arrange a romantic meeting for the two. ;) :-D I've never seen this species imported. Seems like so far it's been coming in as a "contaminant" species.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Hey perhaps we can do that! I think it a really interesting shrimp with the two white dots on head and especially the circular markings on the tail. I will keep you updated and please do the same and if we decide to get them together I think me shipping them to you for the romance would be the smarter move :wink: I would love to see these little guys become part of the hobby even if they are just a "contaminant" species. I have always had this thing for the odd duck....

Cheers, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hey Bill,

Great! Sounds like a date! :) Let's see what happens with my hatchlings and we'll go from there. It would be great if we could establish a colony of these guys.

Here are some pictures:
Red sulawesi shrimp with eggs
Red sulawesi shrimp with eggs
redsulawesi.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 3580 times
Same shrimp as above after eggs hatched. This shot shows the pattern on the back.
Same shrimp as above after eggs hatched. This shot shows the pattern on the back.
redsulawesishrimp2.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
Grainy picture of the hatchling of the "mysterious" red sulawesi shrimp. It's only a few millimeters long.
Grainy picture of the hatchling of the "mysterious" red sulawesi shrimp. It's only a few millimeters long.
redsulawesihatchling.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

They sure color up as adults! Sounds good and as I said I will update and if needed will ship them to you to keep you already started colony going.

Cheers, Bill
nwinverts
Egg
Egg

Post by nwinverts »

Thanks Guy's,Great little shrimp.

Bill, I remember you mentioning the tag alongs in your Sulawesi shipment.
I can only hope that the shrimp with the Corvette taillights and the Pause and Play button on it's back, is available in the Store some…day Mustafa!

Good luck guys, thanks for sharing!
Mark
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Can't really call it a colony, yet. Just a female and a few fry. I totally missed that you mentioned you had several of these shrimp. If you happen to have males and females, then you can of course try to start your own colony first. I thought you had only the animal above, which looks like a male (but looks can be deceiving at that age).

Mark...I like the pause and play button comparison..never thought about it that way. Either way...another great shrimp in the hobby, which needs to be captive-bred.
southerndesert wrote:They sure color up as adults! Sounds good and as I said I will update and if needed will ship them to you to keep you already started colony going.

Cheers, Bill
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Hi Mustafa,

I only have two of the ones we are discussing that I can find, but also have several other "misfits" in the tank as well, but most are still very young and I can't really tell what they are going to look like or be. I would really like to see these guys get started in the hobby and like we discussed I will keep an eye on them and if they do both appear to be one sex we will go with the ship them to you plan.

Cheers, Bill
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Well I actually looked very hard in the tank this morning and found what appear to be more of the same, but with more body markings. I may have as many as 4. There are lots of hiding spots in my tank so there could be more I haven't seen yet. The "odd balls" seem to stick together as they move around the tank.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That's great news Bill :-D That one pictured does seem to have more white markings than the earlier one. I hope you find more and they stay healthy!
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Mustafa wrote:No info on them anywhere, but I have one that also came with what's currently called "cardinal shrimp" (unfortunately, the cardinals were in bad shape and died off one by one within a few days). It had eggs, which hatched, and I have been spotting a few young for about 3-4 days now.

Wait just so Im clear on this post....all your cardinals died and it is this "mystery shrimp" that was carrying eggs which hatched?

With all these new shrimp...I am going to have to get more tanks...."Gotta Catch em all!" :lol:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Terran wrote:
Wait just so Im clear on this post....all your cardinals died and it is this "mystery shrimp" that was carrying eggs which hatched?
Yes.

With all these new shrimp...I am going to have to get more tanks...."Gotta Catch em all!" :lol:
New shrimp are always exciting, but let's just make sure that we don't always chase the latest and newest shrimp on the market. Most "old" shrimp species are not really established in the hobby yet as there aren't enough breeding colonies in captivity. That includes the bumblebees, green shrimp, tiger shrimp, pretty much all indian shrimp etc...etc.. I think it's important to be able to focus on establishing a continiously reproducing colony of a given shrimp before moving on to a new. I see a trend in the hobby worldwide, where hobbyists just constantly chase after the newest shrimp and never really get to focus on any given species. The ones profitting from that are the exporters and importers of wild shrimp. It does not really do anything for the advancement of the hobby. I know how seductive the call of the "new shrimp" can be, though, but one should resist unless one already has a grip on the species that one keeps and gets them to breed over several generations. After all, if one can't get a grip on the "old" species, who says that things will work any better with the "newest and coolest" shrimp on the market?

@Bill/Southerndesert

Great news! I'm glad that you have more of those guys. Let's see if you start seeing any egg-carrying shrimp in the next few months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Mustafa wrote: Let's just make sure that we don't always chase the latest and newest shrimp on the market. Most "old" shrimp species are not really established in the hobby yet as there aren't enough breeding colonies in captivity. That includes the bumblebees, green shrimp, tiger shrimp, pretty much all indian shrimp etc...etc.. I think it's important to be able to focus on establishing a continiously reproducing colony of a given shrimp before moving on to a new. I see a trend in the hobby worldwide, where hobbyists just constantly chase after the newest shrimp and never really get to focus on any given species.
I did not intend to sound so callous with my shrimp keeping, I apologize if it sounded that way. I was not planning on abandoning the other shrimp in the hobby...I was actually hoping to have active breeding colonies of Sri Lanka, Malaya, Green Shrimp, CRS, and Tiger before considering tackling these newcomers (Some of those Indian shrimp seem hard to come by). Its just hard not to be excited about these "new" guys....

In the meantime I just have to enjoy these new guys vicariously. So everyone, keep posting pictures and updates! :P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Terran wrote:
I did not intend to sound so callous with my shrimp keeping, I apologize if it sounded that way. I was not planning on abandoning the other shrimp in the hobby...I was actually hoping to have active breeding colonies of Sri Lanka, Malaya, Green Shrimp, CRS, and Tiger before considering tackling these newcomers (Some of those Indian shrimp seem hard to come by). Its just hard not to be excited about these "new" guys....

In the meantime I just have to enjoy these new guys vicariously. So everyone, keep posting pictures and updates! :P
Sorry, big misunderstanding. I did not mean to imply that you sounded that way. I just took your post as an opportunity to speak about many shrimp hobbyists in general both here and in Europe and Asia. It was not directed at you in particular. :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Any updates, Bill?

My update: My adult female disappeared a few weeks ago...probably died like the rest of the shipment. I have two young running around right now that are just as stunningly colored as the adults and are now at around 1cm. They stay quite hidden most of the day and seem to be mostly nocturnal at this point. I hope I win the lottery and they are male and female. :-D