I thought I bought Ghost Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Guybrush
Larva
Larva

I thought I bought Ghost Shrimp

Post by Guybrush »

A while back I bought four berried Ghost shrimp (and two non-berried) to see if I could raise the larvae. The larvae lasted a week until I tried direct feeding :(
I haven't been able to try again since the two non-berried shrimp died shortly after I bought them and I only have females left.

Yesterday, I bought some more Ghost shrimp in hopes to get a male and realized how big the original ones had gotten. I suspect that they might not be Palaemonetes paludosus, but Macrobrachium lanchesteri. They're at about 5 cm, which should be a little too large for paludosus. What do you guys think?

The larger, suspect shrimp seem to be much more aggressive towards the smaller ghost shrimp than with each other :evil:

Shrimp #1 (saddle):
Image Image
Shrimp #2 (saddle), #3 (most eggs dropped):
Image Image
Shrimp #4 (eggs):
Image Image
Decent shot of the rostrum:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: I thought I bought Ghost Shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Yep, you got yourself some M. lanchesteri. :) Try breeding them...they have small/medium sized freshwater larvae that take a few weeks to develop into benthic shrimp, but it can be a rewarding experience.
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

Thanks for the confirmation, Mustafa! I remembered those black markings and the reddish back from the pictures on this forum. I'd love to breed them, but I don't have any males :( I guess I have to go around to all the LFS's and check their Ghost shrimp tanks for a male. I'll need see if I can set up a live food culture since the commercial food I tried before did not end well.

I love watching these girls dancing around with my cories (grabbing food during feeding) in my community tank. Lots of entertainment for about 17 cents per shrimp :roll:

How old do they get, by the way? I've had them for 6 months now and they weren't exactly small when I bought them.
mikedmatthews
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by mikedmatthews »

i'm on the second try with mine. first drop of larvea didn't pan out. i have four loaded females now.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guybrush wrote:
How old do they get, by the way? I've had them for 6 months now and they weren't exactly small when I bought them.
Can't say for sure since I have never kept this shrimp from larvae until the old-age death of the adult, but the should get to be about 2-3 years old (probably more around 2 years).
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Mustafa, do you plan on adding the Lanchesteri to the Shrimp Varieties page? I think they deserve a spot there personally, as they are my favourite macro. Their behavior is very interesting without being quite as aggressive as say red claw macros, and at least the ones I've kept tended to swim around more often too. When you can find them in stores they are usually rather cheap, especially since a lot of pet stores simply assume they are a Palaemonetes species.
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Also, a search reveals a lot of people asking for IDs on their M. Lanchesteri :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'll put it on my "to to" list. :) I have the pictures and experience with them (years of it) so it's just a matter of finding the time to put it all down.
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

For some reason, this guy/gal was in a swordtail tank...

I'm hoping it's a male lanchesteri. Looks like a male to me, but that might be wishful thinking.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm pretty sure it's a female. Sorry. :( Males are usually much more streamlined. There is a slim chance that I am wrong though. ;)
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

Oh well, I guess I'll add her to the harem then. I guess I used up all my luck on finding her in a random tank. 5 females out of 5 shrimp :(
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

I guess she was a he :shock:
I have eyed eggs!
ImageImage
I'm going to try raising them in a floating breeding container in my 55 gallon tank. I've read that they need 24/7 lighting so I might have to get them a separate tank/container if this doesn't work out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! I'm glad I was wrong. :) The floating container is mostly likely not going to work as usually not enough water exchange occurs between the container and the tank through the small holes. A separate tank would be most appropriate...but it must be thoroughly cycled for the young to survive. Metabolic waste is their biggest survival issue.
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

Thanks, Mustafa. Eggs just started hatching! :D I guess I won't have time to get a separate container this time. I'll try dripping tank water into the container to force water exchange and maybe some bio-filter rocks (or would those sharp edges be harmful?). It's amazing watching the little guys slowly appear (though scary when I see some bouncing near mom's claws). About a dozen so far and not even a dent in the unhatched eggs :shock:
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

Well they died after a few days, so I definitely need to get a separate tank to breed them. I'm not sure if I have the time to properly raise larvae, though.