Bumble Bees on AB

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimp_ocd
Egg
Egg

Bumble Bees on AB

Post by shrimp_ocd »

Does anyone have any experiance with Tropical Fish Distributors? They have some bumble bees up for bid on AquaBid. My search comes up empty for their name.
It appears their shrimp are in holding tanks. I want some BB's, but only from someplace with a good reputation.

Thank's,
Cinthia
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Bumble Bees on AB

Post by Mustafa »

Wild-caught bumblebees in holding tanks are all going to be just about similar quality...i.e. half-dead or "pre-damaged". If they look like they are in holding tanks, then they most likely are in holding tanks. Total losses aren't all that uncommon with shrimp from such sources (even if some or many arrive "alive"). There really aren't all that many real breeders in the US, so the vast majority of "new" shrimp you'll be seeing sold anywhere are wild-caught..including bumblebees (which have been around for a long time actually). Additionally, there are lots of people selling wild-caught and/or imported shrimp as "captive-bred" and make themselves out to be "breeders." Having said that...I have no personal experiences with this person on Aquabid.
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

I got my bumblebee shrimp from this source several months ago as part of a group order with a local plant club. Of the 200 or so we ordered only 5 or 10 were DOA, however as Mustafa has warned with wild caught species there has been a slow dieoff. I currently only have 10 or so left and some are babies that were born in there so hopefully they make it.
nick11380
Larva
Larva

Post by nick11380 »

I have seen this sellers auctions. In their description they state that the shrimp are "HEALTHY, FEEDING ON DEAD FISH AND FLAKE". They write in all caps.

After reading this it makes me wonder. What kind of terrible water conditions are these shrimp kept in? It doesn't take long for dead fish to foul the water.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I try to avoid any sellers who appear to have wild caught, imported shrimp or just sound "fishy" to me :roll: