Hello: Berries, saddle or both

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Hello: Berries, saddle or both

Post by KenCotigirl »

Hello all this is my first post. My name is Ken from Old Bridge, NJ. I started with shrimp about 2 years ago. I got one of the spheres. The supplier said the genus, species name was propriatory and would not supply the name. After the shrimp died I planned on refilling the sphere. While searching for a new supplier I stumbled upon petshrimp.com. I felt quite bad after reading the varieties profiles. I then ordered red cherry shrimp from petshrimp.com about 3 months ago.

Now for my question. When the female in saddle moults do the eggs decend immediately or a few at a time over a period of hours? One of my females appears to have both some eggs in her swimmerets and a visable saddle. Here is a picture.
Attachments
PICT0004.JPG
PICT0004.JPG (236.17 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Hello: Berries, saddle or both

Post by adimeatatime »

Hi :smt006 COTIGIRL. I don't have an answer to your question, but would like to welcome you to the forum. Your picture is very nice and that is a beautiful cherry shrimp!!!
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

In the picture the female is berried with saddle and I see this often in my tanks

Nice photo...

Bill
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

The shrimp in your old sphere are Opae Ula, who live in brackish water.

The one in your picture are Red Cherry Shrimp, freshwater.

They are different.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

COTIGIRL wrote: One of my females appears to have both some eggs in her swimmerets and a visable saddle. Here is a picture.
Shrimp can keep some eggs in their ovaries ("saddle") if they produced large numbers of eggs. Or...in your case...it might just be that your shrimp molted quite a while back, started carrying eggs, and produced some more eggs in her ovaries for the next molt/mating.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Thanks for the input. I hope I can can add to the forum.

Ken P