red claw macro compatibility

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

red claw macro compatibility

Post by shrimpthing »

It mentions in the caresheet they will eat smaller shrimp. Have anyone had success keeping them together longterm(as in, both species keeping up their numbers?). Also, how bad are they with bottom feeders such as loaches?

I am considering them for a newt tank that also has red cherry shrimp. It is a 46 gallon paludarium, so quite a bit of floor space. The newts do not bother the shrimp and the shrimp seem to know they are too fast for the newts and so are quite fearless.
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: red claw macro compatibility

Post by adimeatatime »

I don't keep my red claws with any smaller shrimp and suspect they would wreck havoc on them given the way they interact with each other. The loaches may prove to be too much for the red claws depending on which loach you keep. Even though they are one of the less aggressive larger shrimp, they are still pretty aggressive, in my opinion anyway. I think a smaller shrimp would have a hard time finding anywhere that would be safe with red claws in the tank. JMHO
shrimpthing
Egg
Egg

Re: red claw macro compatibility

Post by shrimpthing »

Thanks! The loaches were a substitute for figuring how they might act with newts. I was hoping they'd be relatively sedentary and could have a cave or two to lurk in while the other shrimp could hide amongst the moss. Guess not.