Positive ID of CRS Please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Positive ID of CRS Please

Post by Quake2Player »

I am not 100% sure (maybe 95%), but my LFS labeled these shrimp as "Zebra Shrimp". I bought the last 3 he had as he priced them cheaper the Cherry Reds! I look online and it looks like I have Crystal Red Shrimps. I am attempting a pic upload, someone please confirm these are CRS:

I got 'em for about $6 for 3. I noticed an auction site sells CRS for as much as $10 per, plus shipping? Assuming I am correct in ID'ing mine as CRS, why is there such a wide price difference (unless my LFS just had no clue what kindof shrimp they were selling)?

Thanks in advance.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Positive ID of CRS Please

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, these are crystal red shrimp. The price differences are easily explained: 1. suppyl demand 2. different "grades" of CRS (i.e. some people are willing to pay more for certain patterns for which these shrimp have been bred).
Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Post by Quake2Player »

Thanks for the response Mustafa.

On a totally different note...
My 10gal tank has 14 CRS and 3 Red Cherrys. I am considering buying a group of at least 20 Red Cherrys to add into this same tank. Is it common to mix these 2 type of shrimps and could there be any aggression/territorial problems with a larger population? I know I've read that Cherry Reds don't eat their young... but what about CRS?
I used your forum "search" and was surprised to not find much results when I plugged in "mixing crs and rcs.

Thanks in advance.
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

I keep them together in one of my tanks. Note that they do have different IDEAL water conditions.... but there is overlap enough that they will both thrive (my mutual tanks is at 74 degrees, Gh is around 4, Ph is around 7.. six of my ~40 cherries berried in the past week).

So if you were planning on becoming a breeder you'd ideally want separate tanks.... not just to have "ideal" conditions for each, but you'd want that anyhow, to separate high from lower grades for breeding.

They won't hurt each other - Dwarf Shrimp have no "offense" weapons... as Mustafa said, Dwarf Shrimp's "grabbers" are basically tiny feather dusters, in terms of their ability to hurt another creature. Neither CRS or RCS eat their young.

-steve
Quake2Player
Egg
Egg

Post by Quake2Player »

Infopimp, thx for the info!
What do you mean by ... "sx of my ~40 cherries berried in the past week" ?
Mitch
Egg
Egg

Post by Mitch »

Quake2Player wrote:Infopimp, thx for the info!
What do you mean by ... "sx of my ~40 cherries berried in the past week" ?
He means that some of his female cherries now have eggs on the underside of their tail which should hatch in a few weeks... on another note I have no problem in mixing my cherries and my CRS.