New Hikari shrimp food (with copper)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

New Hikari shrimp food (with copper)

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Hikari is launching a new food specifically for freshwater shrimp. I found it surprising that they explicitly stated that it contains copper.

Here is the link where I read about it:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?news=1993

The editor mentions the copper content: "Dietary copper requirements for shrimps are measured in the very low micrograms. Copper toxicity is measured in the milligrams".

It's important to remember that even shrimp still require trace amounts of copper in their diet.
Mitch
Egg
Egg

Re: New Hikari shrimp food (with copper)

Post by Mitch »

Does anyone know if this food is good? I might want to try it out.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

I find it odd that they would mention copper, after all thats what we use to kill pathogens in our tanks. Do shrimp need a higher copper diet?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Pretty much every higher organism needs copper. It's the amount that makes the difference. Large amounts can kill (including humans) and trace amounts are necessary for life. I have never worried about copper in shrimp/fish food...ever.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think that overfeeding is the most important thing to look out for when my shrimp are concerned. I want to try this food myself in the near future.
Killfrenzy
Egg
Egg

Post by Killfrenzy »

Actually, on the subject of shrimp-specific foods (did a search and didn't see any mention of this particular one here, so), Ocean Nutrition has had a shrimp wafer out for almost a year now. http://www.oceannutrition.com/product_f ... =ae06.html

Royal Pet Supply didn't see much point in stocking it at first, but they finally started carrying it about a month ago, so it should be available for order from most LFS now, compared to... (checks google) mostly british sites online, apparently. Snowballs seem to like it, and I've seen Cardinals go after it too. Anyone else try it yet?

I'll probably go and see whether or not Royal's carrying the Hikari stuff tomorrow.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Neonshrimp wrote:I think that overfeeding is the most important thing to look out for when my shrimp are concerned. I want to try this food myself in the near future.
I second that motion.... On over feeding!
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

OK this food is approved by me!

The pieces are perfectly sized so that every shrimplet and big shrimp can grab just one piece that will keep them busy for a while. They get very hyped up when they find this stuff.

You can presoak the stuff and pour it in to target a feeding area (it seems to sink well), or sprinkle in and it will drop slowly over 5-10 minutes with gentle circulation (except for the shrimp who swim up and invert to grab some first).

I like seeing a big "hog pile" of shrimp fighting for a piece of food once in a while, but this food is granularized just right so that everyone can share and nibble away. I have added this to my regular rotation.
chris666
Egg
Egg

Post by chris666 »

Personally I use "Bee Grows" (Japanese brand couldn't find a link) and the little buggers go nuts over it. Just a small pellet and behold the feeding frenzy. Fun to watch and it seems that everyone is doing really well with this food. Both my CRS and Bee's seem a lot healthier ie. brighter colours and such. The only problem I have is that the Red Ramshorn (my wife insisted on it..she even named it :roll: ) in there seems to like it a bit too much as well.
reeyia
Egg
Egg

Post by reeyia »

I use the Hikari and no problems - all my shrimp love it and the dwarf crays go for it too.