is it ok to have the sponge filter as the ONLY filter?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mithrius
Egg
Egg

is it ok to have the sponge filter as the ONLY filter?

Post by mithrius »

Hey people! :) Just wondering if i had a sponge filter in my tank, would that be adequate aeration and filter goodness for around 8 or shrimp in a 2 gallon bubble wall tank?
I know alot of you guys have both a sponge filter to provide food, AND another filter.
But the shape of my bowl wont allow it, and im trying to provide a good invironment anyways while keeping this shape and on-the-wallness. :)
Let me know what you think..
thanks!

Jenni
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Re: is it ok to have the sponge filter as the ONLY filter?

Post by wskurdahl »

Yes it is fine to have sponge filters as the only filter. Almost all my shrimp tanks are run solely on sponge filters.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

wskurdahl wrote:Yes it is fine to have sponge filters as the only filter. Almost all my shrimp tanks are run solely on sponge filters.

Mine are as well. No problems.
mithrius
Egg
Egg

Post by mithrius »

nick11380
Larva
Larva

Post by nick11380 »

I have only sponge filters in my shrimp tanks. But I wonder if it's enough mechanical filteration. Because the fine particals don't get filtered out like they do with the HOB filters.
angry pirate
Larva
Larva

Post by angry pirate »

i wouldn't have though mechanical filtration would be a problem with shrimp as they pretty much do it themselves. plus anything that they miss would be devoured buy bacteria in the substrate. this is just my thought any way as most of my tanks are sponge based and i've never had any problems.