Malawa update

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Malawa update

Post by adimeatatime »

Here is a picture of a few of the Malawa shrimp now in the tank. I was really excited to see so many of them and there are lots of berried/saddled females too. :-D This is a fraction of the shrimp that are now in this tank.
Malawa/Yellows
Malawa/Yellows
MalawaYellow.JPG (125.76 KiB) Viewed 4136 times
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Malawa update

Post by infopimp »

Hey! You have some orange colored ones, too! Have you thought about selectively breeding the orangie ones? I've been considering it.
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Hi infopimp!! The odd colored shrimp are yellows. Sorry, I should have mentioned I have both in this tank. I was just excited that the Malawas are really doing well. Although my picture isn't the best because it was a holding container. :D
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

Ah that explains a lot. Great to see such progress - what are your water parameters?
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

I keep these guys in well water that my KH is 100 (5 drops using a hagen test kit), GH is 70 (7 drops) and the ph is around 8.0. Of all of the shrimp I am currently trying to keep these are doing the best. There are shrimp of all sizes in the tank and there always seems to be berried females.
Here is a little better picture of them. I have moved the yellows to their own tank. The Malawa shrimp out numbered the yellows 5 to 1 when I removed the yellows. Amazing. :smt005
Attachments
P2071720.JPG
P2071720.JPG (58.61 KiB) Viewed 3989 times
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

Its great they are so productive - this will help their chances of staying in the hobby for years to come.
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Like infopimp's, my Malawa shrimp are doing GREAT. They are a very active, fun shrimp. I'm also seeing some interesting color variations. Here is one of them that is quite striking. I'm seeing a good number of shrimp with similar coloration and am thinking about setting up a separate tank for part of them. Mustafa's comment about mutations is interesting to me. :D
Attachments
Malawa.JPG
Malawa.JPG (62.22 KiB) Viewed 3808 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm glad to see that this species is sticking around in the hobby. :) Keep up the good work!
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Thanks Mstafa! I'm pretty sad that I wasn't able to keep some of the other shrimp I got from you going. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong for them.
Mustafa wrote:I'm glad to see that this species is sticking around in the hobby. :) Keep up the good work!
infopimp
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by infopimp »

Malawas seem a little slow to breed for me, but very hardy and ... prolific.

:)

http://www.imageseek.com/sven/gallery/m ... abies_4826
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Lots of times it's really out of your hands. If your tap water is not "right" and your tank did not have time to "settle" and mature, then shrimp don't fare well at all, even if fish would do quite alright under the same conditions. There are just so many variables in shrimp keeping. Late reply...but better now than never. ;)
adimeatatime wrote:Thanks Mstafa! I'm pretty sad that I wasn't able to keep some of the other shrimp I got from you going. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong for them.
Mustafa wrote:I'm glad to see that this species is sticking around in the hobby. :) Keep up the good work!
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Any updates ?
This was one of my Favorite.