Missing pincer legs

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

nick11380
Larva
Larva

Missing pincer legs

Post by nick11380 »

I just bought some home bred Sulawewi Cardinal shrimp. I put them in a 29 gallon aquarium with Malawa shrimp and Sulawewi Tylomelania snails. The next day after I received them I noticed that 1 of the cardinal shrimp was missing 3 of it's white pincer legs. I didn't notice it right away so I thought it might have been from catching and shipping. But I checked the number of white pincer legs on all the other Cardinal shimp to see if they were all there & they were.

I looked in the tank this morning and another Cardinal shrimp is missing 3 white pincer legs. I don't know what could be happening. But it happened overnight. The tank has a sponge filter, Malawa shrimp and Tylo snails. I don't see any agressiveness from the Malawa shrimp. The cardinals are feeding in the open with the Malawas and don't appear to be stressed.

Are Malawa shrimp capable of ripping the pincer legs off of other shrimp? Does anybody know what could be happening?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Missing pincer legs

Post by Mustafa »

The Malawa shrimp are not capable of doing that. Such mishaps can happen during a molt, though.