Shrimp Tank.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

piero
Egg
Egg

Shrimp Tank.

Post by piero »

Hi... I have a shrimp only tank where I've placed cherry red shrimps, bee shrimps and crystal red shrimps... I understand that bee shrimps and crystal red shrimps are of the same decent and wishes to breed these. Is there by any chance that my cherry red shrimps will mate with the bee or crystal shrimp? If so, what will be the offsprings be like? Can anyone advise? Thanks in advance.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

The bee and crystal red's will definitely cross-breed, but should not be allowed to. There is no chance that the cherries will breed with either the crystals or the bee -- they are not even congeners.
piero
Egg
Egg

Post by piero »

Why should bee and crystal shrimps not be allowed to cross breed? Care to enlighten me?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

piero wrote:Why should bee and crystal shrimps not be allowed to cross breed? Care to enlighten me?
Because most people want to keep their shrimp species/varieties pure. This is especially true with wild shrimp, which could be endangered in nature. The Crystal Red does not occur in the wild, but the bee shrimp does.

Plus...you won't be getting any interesting colors at all...the result of interbreeding them will be that your red shrimp will disappear after several generations. Are you sure you have bee shrimp and not bumblebee shrimp? Bumblebee shrimp are not the same species.

Mustafa
Last edited by Mustafa on Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piero
Egg
Egg

Post by piero »

Not sure whether its bee or bumblebee but people here in Singapore all call it Bee Shrimp..
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Do you have a picture of your shrimp?

Mustafa
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

Breeding of different species together is frowned upon in any "animal hobby" fish, tarantulas, herps... etc. If you do it or allow it and keep them to your self in your private tanks than that is one thing. But if you give them away to friends or to pet stores or sell them to anyone else or release them in the wild you are damaging both species chances at survival and introducing impure breeds. Its just not a good idea.
Starringme
Egg
Egg

Wow...

Post by Starringme »

Hey piero! Your from Sg too!

Where did you get your shrimps?
I got mine from Nature's Aquariam.

On topic..
Wow... I ididn't cross breeding was that bad... I feel enligthened....
deliverme314
Egg
Egg

Post by deliverme314 »

Starring me. Really it comes down to the fact that you shouldnt toy with nature. Its design is in place for a reason and just because we are curious as to see what mutations we can make is not a good reason to mess with it. You can not know what effects the cross breeding will have. Sterile eggs perhaps. Shortened life span. Higher risk of being prone to certain diseases etc etc. So like I said if one MUST toy with nature and cross breed in order to keep on living... just make sure you do it responsibly and dont let them out into the hobby or the wild where they could mate and breed on and perpetuate an impure species that never would have existed innature.
Monkanater
Larva
Larva

Post by Monkanater »

are u sure about that? maybe some were out there those two shrimp meet in the wild and then they mate but it come naturally.... like a shrimp hiched a ride on a over folwing river and ended up in a pond with two differnt types. is that not possable..
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

Since I am running out of tanks, I would like to know if I can breed 2 or more different species of shrimp in the same tank ?

I would like to house the following shrimps in the same tank:

- Amano shrimp
- Red Cherry shrimp
- Crystal Red shrimp

How does everyone here breed so many species at one time ?
Do they use individual tank for each species ??

HG
ts168
Egg
Egg

Post by ts168 »

thgng wrote:Since I am running out of tanks, I would like to know if I can breed 2 or more different species of shrimp in the same tank ?

I would like to house the following shrimps in the same tank:

- Amano shrimp
- Red Cherry shrimp
- Crystal Red shrimp

HG
HI HG,
How big is ur tank?

you can use divider to divide ur tank up into compartment.

If you have problem? let me know.

Thanks
TS
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

There should be no problem mixing those shrimp. They won't crossbreed. However, you can't raise Amanos past the lavae stage without brackish water. I don't know what that would do to the Cherries and Crystals.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

thgng wrote:

HG
I breed my shrimp in individual tanks. You can keep non-related shrimp together. However, (mostly likely) only one species will really thrive and outcompete the other, unless you have a really large tank.

Mustafa
thgng
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by thgng »

My Red Cherry shrimp are thriving in my 12"x8"x10" tank.
kH = 5.0
pH = 8.0

I'm setting up a NEW tank measuring 12"x16.5"x12".
In fact, I'm trying to breed Amano in it.

Does anyone breed Amano shrimp here ?
When you mean blackish water, do I need to make the water black when the eggs are laid ?
Or am I suppose to do so at the start ?

Do we have a HOW-to thread on it ?
I would really appreciate it if someone can point me to one.

Thanks.

HG