How often do you feed your RCS?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bigal
Egg
Egg

How often do you feed your RCS?

Post by bigal »

Being new to keeping cherry shrimp I was wondering how often do you guys feed your shrimp. and what do you feed them. Right now I am using compressed wafers that sink to the bottom. Thanks
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: How often do you feed your RCS?

Post by Terran »

I do not feed mine.
I keep them with Malawa Shrimp, Gammarus, Leeches, Red Ramshorns, MTS Snails, Pond Snails, Tubifex Worms and various other little animals that hitched rides in the Gammarus and Leeches purchase.......They are in about 55 gallons of water...

Only problem I'm having is that over time the Malawa Shrimp are out competing the Red Cherry Shrimp. There are still plenty of Red Cherries easily 75 or so....but the Malawa have exploded easily 200 or more...I started the tank out with about 100 cherries and 5 malawa and it didnt take the Malawa long to boom in population(they must like my setup a bit more, I use a clay sand substrate ph 7 maybe a hair lower)...

The only thing I do to this tank is maintain my water changes....and occasional gardening of the plants in the tank....I like how the tank is a little ecosystem all of its own... Have had this set up going for about a year and I have been keeping Red Cherry shrimp for about 4 years....

If you feed your cherries you will get a larger population size for the tank....but I like the idea of the tank holding as many shrimp as the mini-ecosystem can provide for "naturally".