could i keep shrimp in this tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

xchairity_casex
Egg
Egg

could i keep shrimp in this tank?

Post by xchairity_casex »

I have a 10 gallon tank with a few mating pairs of guppies. the tank does have an air pump but no filter as i had been told it is better to do water changes on a daily basis then have a filter so it gets a 20% water change daily. my question is is there a type of shrimp that would do well in this tank with guppys?
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: could i keep shrimp in this tank?

Post by zapisto »

guppy eat shrimp
i know some people will claim they have guppy with cherry for years and nothing happen , but it is a fact guppy eat shrimp.

and i am not sure about the "it is better to do water changes on a daily basis then have a filter" personnally i would not trust it :)
xchairity_casex
Egg
Egg

I am breeding fancy guppies and it is better to keep filtration out becuase they are very suseptable to fin rot and too much even good bacteria will cause it. but ive been keeping this tank for about 6 months now and all my guppies are doing wonderfully.
thnaks for the info i tried doing a search on guppies and shrimp butonly found a single post from somebody starting a tank and useing fedders to cycle it. yes my guppies apretty active little things i could see them picking at shrimp but i thought since they wuld be so much bigger that they would let them be.
xchairity_casex
Egg
Egg

Got 5 new amano shrimp and are getting along great wit the guppies (they are actually bigger then the guppies) the shrimp actually hand out in the baby breeder net with my baby guppies since theres more food laying around in there. so far everyone is getting along great. have made the water a little harder to accomadate the shrimp. they are nice little shrimp and spend the day climbing in and out of the guppy net. and the babies donot mind them at all neither do the adults.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

My experience keeping shrimp with various livebearers, including guppies, is that lots and lots of moss is required if you want the shrimp to feel well and reproduce. I have never seen a guppy eat or attempt to damage an adult shrimp, but I can imagine that they will go for the babies. Also, livebearers are a lot more dangerous for shrimp (and small species of shrimp) if they are fed with live food and used to hunting it down. Such livebearers go after anything that moves. I have wome wild mollies that will chase and kill fish half their size because I got them from a guy who fed them live food. I have the same species of wild molly, bred by me for a few generations using absolutely NO live food, and the mollies are as peaceful as can be. So, under various conditions fish behave differently towards their environment.
kansascity
Egg
Egg

Post by kansascity »

Mostafa I agree with you.But I have one point. All species have some basic instinct which cannot be changed with the food habit. From my personal experience I have got that glumppys
are always looking for shrimp to kill, if they live same tank. I observe it by breeding glumppys of different food habit.
with regards