Found some shrimp... I think....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chicklett43
Egg
Egg

Found some shrimp... I think....

Post by chicklett43 »

Me and my sister were playing in our favorite little stream earlier today... I decided to sit in this grassy moss stuff and out popped these little clear bug things. Needless to say both of us freaked out a little. We went home and Googled pictures of freshwater shrimp and figured out that they look like some of them. So we went back and caught some in our little fish tank. I don't know anything about them so any information or advice would be nice. I don't know if I'm going to keep them yet or release them, but they are pretty cool little things... We live in northern Nevada around Elko so maybe that might help with knowing what they are. They are mating right now (if that helps...) They are kind of grayish/clear and they look like a potato bug/ pill bug/ what ever you call the creepy little things. We don't see any claws really, but they are fast so I can't really tell... I'm pretty sure they eat worms cuz we got one in the sand with them and it looked like they ATTACKED it... Viciously... Lol. Ummm... Like I said, they were in this grassy moss stuff. I don't know if that helps, but if it did I would love to know what kind they are and what they can eat after they run out of worms... Also wondering about taking care of the babies if we do keep them, cuz they are breeding... Well... They are starting to breed (from what I read in the FAQ thing...) I'm not a huge fan of them, but I think my sister is so we will probably keep them lol (I'm more of a cute fuzzy animal person lol. Soon-to-be squirrel/mouse/things-like-that rehabber...) Hope I can get some answers... Kthxbye :D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Re: Found some shrimp... I think....

Post by Newjohn »

Pictures would be very helpful.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Re: Found some shrimp... I think....

Post by TKD »

Scuds?