Shrimp for unheated tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Ponera
Egg
Egg

Shrimp for unheated tank

Post by Ponera »

Hey,

I've had great success with long whisker ghost shrimp, but petstores in my area refuse to stock them anymore. I've also had a lot of success with flower shrimp. I did however have a red mexican crayfish get torn apart by the paddletail newts in the tank. Right now I have 3 PT newts, 2 brichardi cichlids and 1 american flag fish. Kind of a tank of rejects. It's kept at 20 C, I'd like to know shrimp species that are large enough not to die, as well as assertive and common enough to get.

Thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Shrimp for unheated tank

Post by Mustafa »

Hello,

I would not recommend keeping anything with that species of newt. If you search the internet, you will find out that those are extremely aggressive newts (and quite large, as you probably already know) that will devour everything that they can fit in their mouths, including smaller newts and frogs. If by "success" you mean that they survived long enough before getting devoured, I would not call that success. The fact that it tore apart a crayfish should tell you about your success chances with shrimp. There is no reason to look for animals that will live just live long enough in literal "terror" before getting eaten. Just keep your newt by itself and feed it dead stuff (which they will eat just fine) and it should do just great.

So, short answer...there are no shrimp that you could keep responsibly with your newt.

Ponera wrote:Hey,

I've had great success with long whisker ghost shrimp, but petstores in my area refuse to stock them anymore. I've also had a lot of success with flower shrimp. I did however have a red mexican crayfish get torn apart by the paddletail newts in the tank. Right now I have 3 PT newts, 2 brichardi cichlids and 1 american flag fish. Kind of a tank of rejects. It's kept at 20 C, I'd like to know shrimp species that are large enough not to die, as well as assertive and common enough to get.

Thanks