cycling / new tank. ideas

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

durtypanda
Egg
Egg

cycling / new tank. ideas

Post by durtypanda »

what i was wondering if I have a tank that is almost cycled and i buy a new 5 gal could i jump start the cycling process by using water from the almost cycled tank. I do water changes 4gal every 3 or 4 days.what i was thinking about doing is use the 4 gal from water change and use some gravel substrate from the old tank that im taking the water from.will this work or should i just stick to the proven methods..thanks again
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: cycling / new tank. ideas

Post by KenCotigirl »

I do not think your short cut is wise. First of all what is an almost cycled tank? Maybe using water, substrate and some decorations from a fully cycled tank will jump start a new tank but may not make it a fully cycled tank. Short cuts are a gamble and may lead to losses. Patience is a virtue.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

will this work or should i just stick to the proven methods.
Stick with the proven method !!!
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Tanks normally take about a 2weeks till a month to fully cycle & should have no ammonia or nitrate as theses will kill or harm ur fish or shrimp & some nitrite is fine & u can buy test kits or get ur water tested at ur local pet store. U can jump start this process by addin some of the water from the assistin tank & some gravel & some of the filter sponge all of which have the mature good bacteria in them & u can add a product that is good bacteria in a bottle & put some fish food in the tank the good bacteria will eat this & also a snail so the good bacteria will eat the poo & all this will help the new tank cycle quicker.
Tar tar Patrice