Shrimp in cold water fish tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

mroli123
Egg
Egg

Shrimp in cold water fish tank?

Post by mroli123 »

I have previously had a tank with red cherries in and It was more of a tropical tank, now my young daughter has got me back into the game by wanting a fish tank, I have it set up and going to put some small fish in it, but I think she would like some shrimp as they were always interesting to watch when I had them before! I was wondering if there are any shrimp that can be kept in a cold water tank so I don't have to get a heater and can get some standard little fish to put in it for her?

I am guessing that putting a goldfish in the tank with them would be a bad idea?

I have found that river shrimp have come up most when I have done a google search, are these pretty much the same as red cherries?

Any information appreciated!
ChearpyTrice
Larva
Larva

Re: Shrimp in cold water fish tank?

Post by ChearpyTrice »

Hey ya
Depends where u r located as Red Cherry can be kept in Cold Water as I use 2 have them & I'm in QLD Australia. Most fish will eat the shrimp & there babies especial in a small tank.
Tar tar Patrice
mroli123
Egg
Egg

Post by mroli123 »

I live in Norwich, UK so not quite Oz weather! Although it is not raining today! I will need to get a thermometre I think and see what temp the water is and take it from there! I have read that people keep them in their outside ponds in the UK and that they have been ok aslong as the pond didn't freezer over, they can survive at that temp but not breed, if this is true or not I do not know though!
gerd
Egg
Egg

Post by gerd »

Hi,

for 7 years I kept Red Cherry during warm summer and cold winter continuously
in a 250 l black container (100x50x50 cm) outside in the garden. During the
freezing temperatures I switched on a 100 watt heater do prevent water
temperatures below freezing.

At times the surface was covered with 10 mm ice, the temp. dropped down
to +4 C. During summertime the tem. rised up to 30 deg.C.

The key that the Red Cherry survived was the slow movement of these
mentioned temperatures. Every springtime I had at least 50 pretty coloured shrimps
available for further applications. Food was not necessary.

Regards
Gerd
mroli123
Egg
Egg

Post by mroli123 »

When I had them previously I went away on holiday and a fuse blew, so the heater went off, I was away for almost 2 weeks and they were fine when I returned, they are hardy creatures! I think I will get a few and see how they get on, my daughter will love them! She is amazed by the snails we have at the moment, just wait until she see's the shrimps!