Trying to make a self-sustaining environment

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

danishanish
Egg
Egg

Trying to make a self-sustaining environment

Post by danishanish »

Hey guys!

As a project, I have to make a self-sustaining aquatic ecosystem in a 2 liter bottle. I put in an animal and a plant, and then seal the bottle for a month. (if the organism is in danger (malnutrition or anything of that sort), I will open and help the organism. not animal cruelty. :D ) I'm putting halocardina rubra (the supershrimp :lol:) for my organism. For my plant, I'm placing a hygrophila corymbosa inside, it generates plenty of oxygen and is often used in aquatic self-sustaining environments. Here's where I need help: I'm not sure how best the shrimp would thrive. What does the supershrimp feed off in nature (specific plants or families please) and does ph/light exposure hurt/help the shrimp? Oh, and would they eat the hygrophila corymbosa if they need more food?

Thank you for taking time to answer.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Trying to make a self-sustaining environment

Post by Mustafa »

This is just a bad idea. From what you posted it's pretty clear you have not read up much information about these shrimp. You want to put a freshwater plant into a highly brackish environment..then seal the whole thing, which is always a bad idea. The shrimp won't have a problem being in there for a month, but that's because these shrimp are tough. It does not mean that your bottle is "self-sustaining." I highly recommend that you read all of the information in the "Supershrimp!" link on top of this page. If you are still interested in these shrimp afterward, just give them a proper aquarium.
LeShrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by LeShrimp »

Plants don't "generate" oxygen. They need co2 which they will run out of when in a sealed bottle. Thus the shrimp will have no oxygen.
Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Iwantshrimp »

The light would help the shrimp, I'm not sure it would eat the plant though...