Red Claw

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Red Claw

Post by Bradimus »

Mustafa,

Since you added Red Claws to the Shrimp Varieties Page, I will begin the interrogation. How long are their claws? In my opinion, some Macrobrachium's claws are aestheticly too large -- they don't seem to be in proportion to the body.

I will skip the standard question.
abc
Larva
Larva

are they aggressive enough to fend off predators?

Post by abc »

while my cherry shrimp are in their own 10g tank, I have a 75g predator tank full of bichirs (senegalus, delhezi, ornate, etc.) that has a hair algae problem. I would love it if the red claws can eat all the hair algae and help me keep the algae from getting out of hand.

But are they aggressive enough to fend off from being eaten? and if they are juveniles, 2.5 inches may be just long enough not to be swallowed but they need to be able to fight off attacks? can they do this?

Also, I hear that certain species of Macrobrachium are plant killers (like cutting plants with their claws, etc). Will this species just eat the algae and leave the plants alone?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Red Claw

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Brad!
Bradimus wrote:Mustafa,
Since you added Red Claws to the Shrimp Varieties Page, I will begin the interrogation.
--Lets's get it on! ;)
How long are their claws? In my opinion, some Macrobrachium's claws are aestheticly too large -- they don't seem to be in proportion to the body.

--This species actually has very proportionate claws (so do most of the smaller Macrobrachium species as opposed to the HUGE claws of M. rosenbergii and some other large Macrobrachium). What you see in the picture on the shrimp varieties page is about as long as the claws get in most males. In the dominant male the claws get a little bit longer and "thicker", but not unproportionally so. Only one male per tank with become the dominant male usually.

Here is a shot of a dominant male of the same or a very closely related species (M. dayanum):

Here is a pic of a subdominant male of the above species (M. dayanum):

Hope this helps somewhat.
I will skip the standard question.
--Don't skip it...LOL. I don't even know know what the "standard question" is! :?: I get so many questions here that I have not decided on which one is the standard question...LOL. Can you enlighten me? :-D :idea:

Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: are they aggressive enough to fend off predators?

Post by Mustafa »

abc wrote: But are they aggressive enough to fend off from being eaten? and if they are juveniles, 2.5 inches may be just long enough not to be swallowed but they need to be able to fight off attacks? can they do this?
--That's definitely not going to work. No shrimp (or even large crayfish) is aggressive enough to fend off invertebrate eaters (which bichirs are). I have personally observed a 3 inch Jewel cichlid (hemichromis) take apart a 4 inch crayfish with HUGE claws (Procambarus clarkii). So, I would not chance it. Some fish literally "take apart" invertebrate decapods (i.e. shrimp, crayfish etc.), starting with the legs and claws, if they cannot swallow them whole.
Also, I hear that certain species of Macrobrachium are plant killers (like cutting plants with their claws, etc). Will this species just eat the algae and leave the plants alone?
--That's a good question. Some people in Germany keep this species in their planted tanks and it seems to work out fine. I don't have plants in their tank so I cannot comment (yet) on their plant eating capacity. They do like eating Java Moss though, so there might be a chance that they will also nibble at other plants. I'll update the species description once I learn more about this shrimp's plant eating potential.

Mustafa
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Red Claw

Post by Bradimus »

Mustafa wrote: --Don't skip it...LOL. I don't even know know what the "standard question" is! :?: I get so many questions here that I have not decided on which one is the standard question...LOL. Can you enlighten me? :-D :idea:
When will you be offering them? :-D
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

If I'm not mistaken they are for sale right now. :)
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Oops, you are correct. My browser was loading the page from its cache.
jng
Egg
Egg

Post by jng »

I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now, but this is my first post. First, I'd like to thank you Mustafa, for having such an informative site. I don't have any shrimp yet, but hopefully with the info from this site, I'll be able to successfully start soon.

I have a 20g tank with some zebra danios & neon tetras. There's a bunch of java moss in there. My problem is that I have some string algae and pond snails I'd like to get rid of.

- can a red claw shrimp be added safely (i.e. safe for my fish)?
- will just a single specimen be ok?

I also had a quick question on the other shrimps you had up for sale. Just wanted to verify that they are the same as the cherry red shrimp (except for color) and will reproduce readily. If I get these, they'll go into a shrimp only 10g tank.

Thanks.
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

Yes the other shrimp are the same as cherry shrimp except for color. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

jng wrote:I have a 20g tank with some zebra danios & neon tetras. There's a bunch of java moss in there. My problem is that I have some string algae and pond snails I'd like to get rid of.

- can a red claw shrimp be added safely (i.e. safe for my fish)?
I can't speak from experience, but the information on the "Shrimp Varieties" page states, in part:
They will, however, eat any small algae eating shrimp or small fish they can get a hold off and even clip off parts of the fins of fish when they are asleep at night. They are not, however, predatory by nature, taking only advantage of opportune situations. The Red Claw Shrimp will take care of any Ramshorn or Pond Snail infestation you are looking to get rid off. They simply fish the snail out of its shell and consume it. Although there are reports that they also eat Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides tuberculata), I have not observed them eat any individuals of that species since M. tuberculata can seal its shell.
I would not risk your fish, but several individuals of this species could potentially thrive in the setup you described.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome jng! :)
jng wrote: - can a red claw shrimp be added safely (i.e. safe for my fish)?
--As Veneer already said and pointed out on my shrimp varieties page, these shrimp will probably harass your fish if your fish happen to be sleeping on the ground (which a lot of fish do). The Red Claws are interesting all by themselves in a tank, too.
I also had a quick question on the other shrimps you had up for sale. Just wanted to verify that they are the same as the cherry red shrimp (except for color) and will reproduce readily. If I get these, they'll go into a shrimp only 10g tank.
--Yes, these shrimp are the same species as the Red Cherries, as "louieknucks" correctly observed and will reproduce just as easily and readily.

Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Veneer wrote: What is your opinion on the conclusions made in this thread - http://www.reefs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 6&t=000014 - namely:
--Seems to be a valid analysis. People tend to make logical connections where there are none as in "I am using Iodine and my shrimp are all healthy and molting like crazy". Those people don't think about the possibility that their shrimp are healthy all by themselves (maybe even *despite* the iodine in the water) and that the molting *could* be a negative consequence of the Iodine, as suggested in the thread you linked to, or...my take...that the shrimp molt just fine naturally and people connect this molting to the Iodine (again..without there being any connection). The "creative" imagination of some people is limitless...
Even as "hobbyists" we should try to proceed as scientifically as possible to prevent the creation of myths and half-truths.

It is feeding and moving about actively. I'll try to get some images as soon as possible.
--Good! Seeing the shrimp will make things much easier. :)

Closer observation revealed that the shrimp, in truth, does spend a large portion of its time clambering about the faux driftwood and filter intake, as well as lurking beneath the plants; it practically leaps out of the tank upon noticing aquarium flakes on the surface.
--Sounds like typical Palaemonid shrimp behavior. :)

Mustafa
kingkano
Larva
Larva

Post by kingkano »

Hi Mustafa,

I have these :) Many of them, you might remember lol. Want any more pics of babies or various poses??

Anyways, I had them in a planted tank for a while. No problem with plants, though the adults can be a bit clumsy so can knock things around. No damage to speak of though.

i think 8cm might be a bit on the small side. My dominant male is probably 8cm without the claws. I should measure to make sure I am not fibbing....

These beggars breed VERY VERY easily. They bred in my community setup. Every month or so!! and the babies are cute miniatures. Awesome hehe. but annoying. if they breed, the babies will cling on to fish of any decent size and pick at them. I am not sure if they were doing damage, I never noticed damage on the fish afterwards, but it sure did spook them to heck (especially my discus!!)... so be warned. They also stand accused of slowly eating my tetras. Not often just 1 every other week kinda thing.....

They are however fantastic scavengers, snail eaters, you name it. And they come running at dinner time, and look awesome fending fishes off from their chunk of food they have grabbed!! (the other reason I removed them lol).

they are very hardy species. Although you have listed 72 as lower limit temp, mine now all live in room temp (around 66f) and are still breeding like crazy. They do develop slower, are less aggressive and dont eat as much. All signs of lower temp. So they'd be happier probably at higher temp, but fact they still breeding does make me wonder.

Here are some my pics, excuse me for making a long post please :)

Now, its possible I confused my species and mine are different haha. but fairly sure they're same. Some of them have darker shells, I think this was from the higher temp in that discus tank. At lower temps the body was quite clear like a amano shrimp. very interesting that. it could be water differences, altho they get same source water.

Anyways I hope you found that interesting. I may have better/more pics if you are interested. Thanks

Ken
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Ken! Thanks for the pics!

i think 8cm might be a bit on the small side. My dominant male is probably 8cm without the claws.

My sizes for the shrimp I list are always body sizes *without* the claws unless I indicate otherwise.

Take care,
Mustafa
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

kingkano wrote: Although you have listed 72 as lower limit temp, mine now all live in room temp (around 66f) and are still breeding like crazy.
--Forgot to address this earlier. My temperature recommendations are just what I consider as the range they feel most comfortable (and active) in and will reproduce. That does not mean that they do not have a wider range of temperatures that they can survive. The fact that you report breeding at 66F is remarkable though. Even my red cherries do not breed at those temps. But then, the Red Claw do come from mountain streams and creeks far inland where the temperatures can dip quite a bit. So, this would make sense.

Mustafa