How often do you clean the filter?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

How often do you clean the filter?

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hello Shrimp Friends,

My shrimps live with my Tetra in a 10-gallon tank. As the tank water is always clear, I seldom clean the things inside the filter box. I change about one tenth of tank water either once every a few days or once a week. And I remove the old charcoal and sponge from the filter box and put new ones inside every two to three months. My fish have been doing well in the past one and a half years. I'm just curious to know if you clean the filter box more often than I do and if the frequency makes any difference.

Becky
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Addition :

I ask the above question because I find that my shrimps poop much more than my Tetra do.
kross
Larva
Larva

Post by kross »

i change my filter sponge once a month.... :D
Ljung
Larva
Larva

Post by Ljung »

i am using hanging filter, so need to change whenever it is choked by too much.... whatever insede.... :-)
kimco
Larva
Larva

Post by kimco »

I use a cannister filter for my 5' shrimp tank and i've not touch those since setting this tank about 4-5 months back! :P

Cheers,

KG
elements
Egg
Egg

Post by elements »

try not to change the wool of the filter too often...it will somehow disturb the organic cycle within the tank.
once a month or two...would be fine.