Caridina sp. zeylanica rainbow shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Caridina sp. zeylanica rainbow shrimp

Post by cro117 »

i was browsing aquabid and i cam across an auction for Caridina sp. zeylanica. could some one please give me a little info on them. i was planing on getting cherrys and tiggers when the weather warms, and when they become avalible, will this spices cross breed with them.?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That species name is used by not so knowledgeable exporters in India for many different types of shrimp (including the green shrimp). The true zeylanica have not ever been exported out of India as far as I know.

The guy who is offering these shrimp on aquabid tried offering "Sri Lanka Algae Shrimp" (Caridina simoni simoni) on aquabid before using ALL the information he found on my website until I told him that he should stop offering shrimp he does not have since I am the only one in North America who has these shrimp. So....buyer beware! I'd be careful with people who can't even put a non-doctored picture of their OWN shrimp on aquabid to show what they are actually selling.

Mustafa
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

Yeah, I saw that auction. Outrageous price of $5.25 per shrimp :shock: . That is ridiculous.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm not even all that outraged about the price. If a shrimp is very rare or very hard to breed, a higher price can be justified to make up for the additional effort of breeding them and their low numbers in the hobby. But what outraged me was that he tried offering shrimp that he *clearly* did not have. All I can say is: If you buy shrimp that you don't even have pictures of (as he won't post any for obvious reasons) and the shrimp don't come from a reliable, well-known sourcen, then it's your own fault. :smt090

Take care,
Mustafa
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

thanks for the info. i wasn't actualy planing on buying from him anyway. i just thought that this auction ment that these shrimp were being breed and were going to start showing up more often. sounds like this is not the case though.

just for curiosity, and incase you ever offer any mustafa, how compatible are they with cherrys and tiggers?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

cro117 wrote: just for curiosity, and incase you ever offer any mustafa, how compatible are they with cherrys and tiggers?
As I said above, I have no idea what this guy is selling since he does not have any picture or any other description whatsoever. If they are indian shrimp they should be fine with tigers and red cherries since they won't interbreed. However, I don't recommend keeping several species together since one species will outbreed the other at some point in time unless you have a really big aquarium.
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

as i said i was not planing to buy from him. i just ment if i ever see a rainbow shrimp in the future.

as to not mixing species, you mentioned that before to someone else. i have been meaning to ask if it would be ok to mix two, maybe three, spices in a twenty gallon with no fish for six mounths to a year? i just need to maintain enough of each species for the time being to have a breeding colony for them when i move.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

cro117 wrote:as i said i was not planing to buy from him. i just ment if i ever see a rainbow shrimp in the future.
--And as I said several times before "Rainbow Shrimp" is not a species and I have no idea what species *anyone* means if they are advertising "Rainbow Shrimp." Hence I cannot give you any info about them.
i have been meaning to ask if it would be ok to mix two, maybe three, spices in a twenty gallon with no fish for six mounths to a year? .
--As long as they can't hybridize, it's fine. The better solution is to wait until you have more space and more tanks. With three species in a 20 gallon tank one species is bound to "outcompete" the other species at some point for food and space.
BlueAmbist2
Egg
Egg

Post by BlueAmbist2 »

<edited for content>
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Wow...someone is really angry here. Unfortunately, this is not the place to let out your anger. If you need to vent it you can PM me or email me. Hence...your message has been edited.

Mustafa
BlueAmbist2
Egg
Egg

Post by BlueAmbist2 »

I wasn't angry :) My message had no cussing etc. :? No need for it to be deleted, I just said I had pictures etc. and I did not take anything off your site other then the name! :) Please feel free to look up Cardina under google images and you will find your not the only one with pictures out there! :) Have a nice day Mustafa! All it takes is a quick email for pictures and I will do my effort to get you some! its not the easiest getting pictures of shrimp. :D