High PH.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

High PH.

Post by louieknucks »

I will be getting some Neocaridina denticulata sinensis(sp?) soon and have my ten gallon ready just for them. I tested my parameters tonight and my ammonia and nitrite readings are 0ppm. Then I checked my Ph and it came out to around 8.2 and I have no idea if this is bad for the shrimp or not. If it is any suggestions to lower the Ph naturally? I have sand as a substrate, holey rocks, java moss and Amazon Frogbit floating at the top.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That ph is very high but N. denticulata sinensis will be fine even at that PH. You do not need to lower the PH in any way. Is your water coming out of the tap at that PH? "Holey Rock" is usually a special type of limestone. Limestone does increase PH and hardness.

Take care,
Mustafa
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

I'll check the Ph coming straight out of the tap when I get home from work today and see if it is the rock that is raising the Ph or not.
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

I checked the Ph coming straight out of the tap and it is 8.2 also.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp will be fine with that PH either way. N. denticulata sinensis have a wide range when it comes to PH.
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

I got my shrimp yesterday and so far today all are doing well and are still active and exploring. :D
NFR-22467-A
Egg
Egg

Post by NFR-22467-A »

The best way to test your water is to get tap water and let it sit for 24 hours, then test it- that will be the "true" conditions of the water....

In some areas, additives are put the the water for one reason or another, and they affect the pH, giving a slightly different reading than it actually is. So if you test your water straight out of the tap, it may be a little off.

After 24 hours, the readings you will get from your water are more accurate....

Just an FYI....