Have been lurking for a long time..... Now need help....

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Have been lurking for a long time..... Now need help....

Post by Mustafa »

You have done all you can possibly do really. Just wait and have patience. Put some brackish water snails in there in about 3-4 weeks. 'They should be just fine and reproduce. And once they reproduce, they'll take care of the organic pollution in there. At about the same time put in a very small amount of macroalgae. Then sit back and wait until the water becomes clear. It may take a few months.

Thanks for the comparison pictures of both "mossballs". :)
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Mustafa wrote:You have done all you can possibly do really. Just wait and have patience. Put some brackish water snails in there in about 3-4 weeks. 'They should be just fine and reproduce. And once they reproduce, they'll take care of the organic pollution in there. At about the same time put in a very small amount of macroalgae. Then sit back and wait until the water becomes clear. It may take a few months.

Thanks for the comparison pictures of both "mossballs". :)
No problem.... I am wondering.... Would it be better and quicker to just dump everything out, bleach the heck out of this tank, and start fresh? I mean....
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, it probably would be...minus the bleaching. Just scrub away all algae from the walls, rocks etc., refill the substrate and call it a day. Put in macroalgae and snails two to three weeks later.
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

I will just start with everything new...... I have more Lava Rocks here. I will buy another coral, and will get a different substrate.
Will clean the tank - won't risk having a spec of this thing in the tank.....
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Sounds good. :D
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Question, Mustafa: Since I was going to get rid of this tank, and had already bought an UV filter anyways (before your comment above), I decided to give it a try, to the heck of it.
Well... Lo and behold, it seems to be working. The water is not crystal clear yet, but it should be in a couple of days at this rate.
From completely murky brown, and quite stinky, it's quite clear, and the smell is definitely fading away.
The green algae is still on the glass, so that's good.
There is a "mat" of brown gunk covering a lot of the substrate, the rocks, the coral and the heater. I can clean the rocks, heater and the coral, but not sure if should clean the substrate again.
I am seriously thinking about letting this filter clean the water and let the tank finish cycling now, instead of starting over.... What do you think?
What I read about these filters, is that they kill the bacteria on the water column, but not on the surfaces, so there should be plenty left for the tank to get stable.

As for tank #1: still doing great, even though I can't seem to get rid of the hair algae. I just need to keep removing it, I guess.
The last shrimp that was on the bowl, which I was certain was going to die as it couldn't swim for three days.... Made a full recovery! I was shocked! I released him in the tank today and he is doing well. Everyone is doing good.
Tomorrow I will feed Hermie, outside of the tank, so I don't polute the water. That tank hasn't been fed and the filter is now off (still in the tank for the good bacteria); I might transfer it to tank #2, to help with the cycling.
Your thoughts on the problem tank are appreciated.
Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The problem is that "clear water" does not equal "shrimp safe" or "healthy". The UV filter kills off all the good and bad microorganisms in the water column, but it does not eliminate them. Their dead remains just precipitate down to the substrate and add to the already high organic pollution you have in that tank. The dead "bodies" will happily produce ammonia in the substrate and the vicious cycle continues. If snails survive in your tank they may be able to deal with the organic load over months (and I'm talking 4-8 months..as they need to reproduce to increase in numbers). Only if your tank does not have any more visible organic matter anymore (thin surface algae film is fine) is it safe enough for shrimp.

It's up to you...I'd go with a new start still.
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Ok, I see... Makes sense. Thanks!
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

So.... I have a new tank!
Well.... Let's call it refurbished!
I decided to powerwash everything instead of tossing it, except for the substrate and the coral, which were way too nasty to be saved.
I power washed the rocks, the tank, the shells, the heater (currently off)...
Added the new substrate, made my own brackish and added in.
For bacteria, I brought in the sponge filter from tank #1.... OMGosh!!! I had closed the water output with a sponge, and as soon as I turned the filter on in the new tank - BAM! Out comes a Shrimp! All happy and healthy - had been there for a couple of weeks, surviving in that little tube, eating the film inside the filter :shock:
I quickly moved him to the original tank, and he is as good as new.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the new tank:

And here is a picture of tank #1.... Notice the difference in color of the old Chaetamorpha on the left, and the new one, on the right. The old is not dead - the strands are firm, and she is still growing - any ideas of what is going on?

Anyways.... Now I guess I wait.... and wait..... The chaetamorpha and the snails are already here.... Let's see how this works!
:smt006
Last edited by Carolina on Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Good luck with everything! :) As for the different color in the Macroalgae...it can be light dependent. You seem to have more light than I do. That can make the Chaeto brighter/lighter green.
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Thank you Mustafa! That makes sense.... My lights in both tanks are indeed pretty bright.
I have high hopes for both tanks now...
Tank #1 is doing exceptionally well, even though the concept of no feeding and no filter are completely new for me.
The little bugger (hermie) has been feeding on so much algae, he's been hard to catch to feed.... I will see if I grab him in the next few days.
The water is super clear, and I used to have these little white creatures floating in the top of the tank, but no more. I guess the shrimp ate them all.
Everyone is doing well - the snails, and even the shrimpies I was certain were going to die, made a full recovery!
As for tank #2, my hope is that there is a bit of good bacteria on the rocks, reason why I kept them.... Even though the power wash got rid of all the algae.
As per your instructions, I didn't add anything in the tank. I will just wait to add the chaetamorpha and the snails in a few weeks or so. Crossing all fingers this tank will work out well now!
Thanks again for all the help! :lol:
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Oh brother, these will be the longest 3 weeks of my life!
I keep walking back to the tank to make sure nothing bad is happening..... Whew!
I hope, oh I hope everything goes well with this tank....... Sooooooo over things not doing well...... In between Cloudy water and that hair algae that I still can't get rid of on tank one, and the brown cloudy water and 30 lost shrimp on tank two..... I am SO over things going wrong!
One day gone, three weeks minus one day to go........... at least to have some live in that tank! :smt004
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Just hang in there. :)
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

I know... I know....! It's a hard wait! So the set up was Monday, today, Thursday I started seeing a tiny bit of film on the cuttlebone and the lava rocks.
I am glad I kept the rocks, I am sure what's growing is from the residue of what was already there.
The water is beautifully crystal clear.

As for tank one, I have a question Mustafa: Since I removed the filter, even after it was turned off, I am seeing a lot less shrimp around. They are really quiet. There are plenty out, but a lot of them are hiding again, on the lava rock cave, under the chaetamorphas, etc.
One or two swimming around at all times. Is this a good, or a bad sign?
Also: the tank hasn't been fed I believe since January... We are now in may. I don't believe I will ever get rid of the hair algae, unless I remove everything from the tank.
I saw two ways of killing the Ha without killing the algae: 1: dunking the rocks on 5% bleach solution for about 10-20 seconds, then dunking it on a solution of prime to remove the chlorine. Brushing the dead algae off.
2: exchanging for all new rocks....
What's your take on both?
Those rocks are full of beneficial bacteria, and healthy algae too, it would be a shame to get rid of them.... I am sick and tired of that hair algae though, and rescaping the tank might be the only solution now.... I assume there is enough beneficial bacteria on the substrate to keep the tank healthy?
And my fear with bleaching, is that lava is pretty porous, so I might not be able to remove it all.
Thanks
Carolina
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Carolina »

Well.... For good, bad, or worse, I did it. I rescaped my tank.
I took all the contaminated lava rocks, and most of the left over gravel.
Took the snails, chaetamorpha, hermit crab, marimo Moss, and the tiny Moss ball, and put in a temporary tank, after cleaning the chaetamorpha and the Moss balls.
There was a LOT of waste in the tank... A LOT.
I took the most I could with a serving spoon.
Quote hard to rescape a tank with shrimp in it, but I did the best I could to not harm anyone.
I doubt I took all the hair algae, but I am am sure I took almost all of it.
Replaced some of the water as at that point quite a bit of waste was floating on the water column.
Put brand new lava rocks in, and put all the Living beings back.
Of course the water has to settle now.... But hopefully the shrimp will do well and I will finally beat this thing.
I couldn't stand it anymore.
Edit: the water has settled now, and it's clear. There is a layer of waste, but the shrimp and snails are going at it.
My of Concern is the other chaetamorpha os so big and thick, shrimpies are getting trapped inside of it... I hope they can get out... I can see three right in the middle, and I am pretty concerned about them.
Everyone else seems to be ok.
Last edited by Carolina on Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.