MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! Not bad at all for having started with 10 Shrimp not too long ago. You probably have even more shrimp in there as shrimp are notoriously hard to count. They'll continue reproducing...your 2.5g tank will probably have 2-4 times that number of shrimp at some point.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Mustafa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am Awesome! Not bad at all for having started with 10 Shrimp not too long ago. You probably have even more shrimp in there as shrimp are notoriously hard to count. They'll continue reproducing...your 2.5g tank will probably have 2-4 times that number of shrimp at some point.
I've given away at least thirty and this morning I counted seven berried females, those where only the ones in plain view... :D

(This doesn't include the twenty or so that share a tank with my hermit crabs. They are also starting to reproduce... I noticed a bunch of larvae in there this morning too.)
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Post by ThisGuy »

:mrgreen: Welcome! (even though that was 2 years ago) Nice hearing that you have lots of berried shrimp!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Well it's coming up on three years since I started my Supershrimp tank and I have well over 200 shrimp, more snails than i can count or ever see, and a bunch of small moss ball "buds". :D

Hope everyone is having fun!
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Waaw, crazy that you have so much reproduction in a "small" tank without too much hiding places.
You keep the larvae in the original tank? What snails do you have?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Zlatan2601 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm Waaw, crazy that you have so much reproduction in a "small" tank without too much hiding places.
You keep the larvae in the original tank? What snails do you have?
I have two tanks. A 2.5 and 5 gallon. The larger one is also home to a couple of dwarf hermit crabs. I populated the 5 gallon with shrimp from the 2.5 gallon. Both tanks have at least a hundred plus shrimp in them at this point. I have horned nerites and Mustafa Snails in both tanks. They do a good job at keeping the glass clean...

I haven't changed anything about the 2.5 gallon tank except to remove some adult shrimp to populate other people's tanks since its inception. I feed it one small hikari crab cuisine pellet once every two months. This is hardly enough to increase population size but it's nice to see the shrimp swarm on the food. I'll try and put up a new picture here soon!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

IMG_20190220_222839.jpg
IMG_20190220_223113.jpg
IMG_20190220_222806.jpg
:smt006
Zlatan2601
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Zlatan2601 »

Nice man! Nicely crowded rank you have! Even ET is in there :P
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Nice pictures of the berried shrimp! Love the little guy photobombing in the first pic.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks *again* for the update! :) I especially love the small mossball "babies"/buds/mini-mossballs in the first picture. I'm assuming they are from the one mossball you bought almost exactly three years ago. Anyone who still thinks there are the same as "marimo" balls...when was the last time your marimo ball budded a bunch of tiny balls? :-D Do you have a picture of the original mossball?
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Mustafa wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:53 pm Thanks *again* for the update! :) I especially love the small mossball "babies"/buds/mini-mossballs in the first picture. I'm assuming they are from the one mossball you bought almost exactly three years ago. Anyone who still thinks there are the same as "marimo" balls...when was the last time your marimo ball budded a bunch of tiny balls? :-D Do you have a picture of the original mossball?
The original mossball I bought from you eventually separated into two pieces, I think they may have actually been two buds that were growing together. I kept the smaller piece in my original shrimp tank and put the other in my 5 gallon with the crabs. They ate it. The other piece is still in my 2.5 and responsible for all the little buds, it gets moved all around the tank by the shrimp and has spread a good amount of them. However, it hasn't seemed to grow much bigger in three years! And the small buds are very, very slow growing too! Here is a pic:
IMG_20190222_073724.jpg
And my behemoth trumpet snail surfaced again this morning! :-D
IMG_20190222_073734.jpg
Last edited by minishrimps on Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

i<3Opae wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:35 pm Nice pictures of the berried shrimp! Love the little guy photobombing in the first pic.
Zlatan2601 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 pm Nice man! Nicely crowded rank you have! Even ET is in there :P
ET isn't actually in the tank :D But he does like watching the shrimp! 8)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, those crabs *love* algae. If you want your mossballs to grow faster, just feed a bit more. They are plants after all and appreciate the added nutrients. And that's a *very* nice giant snail you have there! :D