MiniShrimps

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Stalker
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: MiniShrimps

Post by Stalker »

There is another component:

Bacteria turn NO3 to N2 and 02.

this reaction exist in freshwater filter but is very weak. It's strong in reef tanks (inside live rocks), may be in our brackish tanks with little ammonia, this reaction is dominant.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

erica wrote:Simple version (this is not meant to be condescending or anything; I just don't have the mental energy for a long post right now! apologies if it seems impolite; it's not intended to be)
No worries! :smt023

I appreciate it, but i'm also patient. No need to respond if your not feeling mentally up to it at the moment...
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Stalker wrote:There is another component:

Bacteria turn NO3 to N2 and 02.

this reaction exist in freshwater filter but is very weak. It's strong in reef tanks (inside live rocks), may be in our brackish tanks with little ammonia, this reaction is dominant.
Thanks, also, at the moment, the only living thing in my tank is the algae ball, I don't think it produces much ammonia, but there is definitely a lot of gas exchange going on!
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Does macroalgae root in your substrate or float on top? Is it ok to separate what comes in an order and put two pieces in different parts of the tank? If doable how easy is this to do? I don't want to damage it, and i could always order another batch if that's a better idea.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

minishrimps wrote:Does macroalgae root in your substrate or float on top? Is it ok to separate what comes in an order and put two pieces in different parts of the tank? If doable how easy is this to do? I don't want to damage it, and i could always order another batch if that's a better idea.
Its made up of lots of strands that tangle together but come undone pretty easily. No roots to be seen, just simple strands and even a single strand will usually keep growing fine. In my experience the macroalgae stays on the bottom until it reaches enough of a mass that the oxygen bubbles it produces get caught in the multitude of strands and cause it to float to the surface. Its a favorite hangout for newly metamorphosed baby shrimp as it provides hiding places and a surface for biofilm.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

hmm, sounds like it will tend to migrate on its own so my idea for two placements in the tank may prove a futile endeavor... Thanks Varanus!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

minishrimps wrote:hmm, sounds like it will tend to migrate on its own so my idea for two placements in the tank may prove a futile endeavor... Thanks Varanus!
Well with no filter it should stay in one place once it floats to the surface, and its simple enough to move if you want it elsewhere. You could try wedging it between rocks or something too.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Snails should be here today... :D I got some good algae growth going on, can't wait for some activity in my tank!

edit: snails arrived, the water seemed kind of cold so i decided to put the bag in the tank to let the water warm up. most of the snails have huddled with at least one other snail and aren't really moving much yet. One snail however, is cruising around like crazy though, i bet it's is ready to get out of the little bag but i'm holding off until i see all of them move...
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So i'm pretty sure all of my snails survived the cross country journey but one is hardly moving. Maybe it just needs time to acclimate?

I released them into the tank and they are already foraging, except the one that is just kind of sitting there.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Give it time, I've noticed the snails have different activity periods. Sometimes it will look like there are only a few snails in my tank, other times it looks like there are dozens of them.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

I think all the snails are alright at this point. Some seem to have buried themselves, some seem to be digging the coral. Some seem to just be cruising around the top of the substrate and one is hanging from the surface... there were 11 when i put them in there. I had no idea they were so tiny! I can only see about 7 of them right now...

Last edited by minishrimps on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Varanus wrote:Give it time, I've noticed the snails have different activity periods. Sometimes it will look like there are only a few snails in my tank, other times it looks like there are dozens of them.
How many are there really? :D
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

So far I like my snails. But I have been thinking about adding a Nerite to my tank too. Are there any recommendations regarding the co-existence of the Brackish water snails from Petshrimp Store and a Nerite? From what I've read here I won't really need more than one Nerite for my 2.5 gallon tank. Will they out compete my other snails or just keep their population to a minimum? I also heard Nerites lay eggs all over and it can be a nuisance... any recommendations on sourcing a nerite from a reputable buyer? I'd love to hear peoples thoughts...
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I've no experience with nerites in a supershrimp tank, but I do have some in my freshwater tanks. They eat a lot so are great for keeping algae under control, but at the same time that makes me wonder if they would have enough food if kept in a supershrimp tank with a bunch of other snails. They also do indeed lay bright white eggs at times and these eggs are rather hard to remove from tank glass.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Varanus wrote:I've no experience with nerites in a supershrimp tank, but I do have some in my freshwater tanks. They eat a lot so are great for keeping algae under control, but at the same time that makes me wonder if they would have enough food if kept in a supershrimp tank with a bunch of other snails. They also do indeed lay bright white eggs at times and these eggs are rather hard to remove from tank glass.
Thanks, I thought I read that Nerites need salty water to reproduce, maybe it was just a certain species. Do the eggs hatch and survive? Would an Assassin snail eat/clean up the nerite eggs? I know the assassin snail would probably eat all my MTS but I also read that Assassin snails can't eat nerites. perhaps the assassin snails can co-exist comfortably with the nerite?

So, i'm thinking one Nerite, my MTS population, and then my shrimps (of which i plan to start with ten when i order) Do you think this sounds like a good brackish water community?

I would also love to get a Dwarf Hermit crab too but am afraid it will out compete the shrimp or cause to much bio load for 2.5?