Macro Algae turning white

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Macro Algae turning white

Post by Mustafa »

It looks like the macroalgae grew for a while (looks quite dense) and then died. How many shrimp do you have in this? Do you feed at all? I don't see any surface algae growth at all. What's that root looking thing right next to the dead/dying macroalgae? Is it organic matter?
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

I have 12 super shrimps in it. The brown thing is a seafan or something that was in the ecosphere with some of my shrimps. I thought I had a bunch of algae bc it’s growing all over the seafan thing and bc the walls look a little brown. I have recently given them a shrimp pellet that I drop in and then remove after an hour. I’m going to try and attach better pictures.

I’m also wondering how you clean the water? I thought we never needed to, but mine sure is murky. I’ve tested the ph and it is 7.5 and the ammonia is 0.
Attachments
518C2512-0BCF-490E-91C9-BF90781EB24F.jpeg
66168DE4-283E-4F87-8A9D-9D951B23C65E.jpeg
C70C3FBF-12D2-48CD-AE63-58599907395A.jpeg
3236C9DD-BE57-45DC-AD53-5EEA9D85B60B.jpeg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Normally cloudiness is related to some kind of bacterial bloom. If the shrimp are not being adversely effected by it then it's probably best just to wait it out. Whatever is allowing the population explosion for the bacteria should get consumed eventually and then the water will clear as those bacteria in turn die off and get consumed.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It looks like you may actually have some thin film of brown algae growing on the glass that makes the water look "murky" even though it may not be. Double check that and clean the glass. Having said that...that wine glass container is way too small and will make it incredibly difficult to successfully keep these shrimp long term. And breeding is unlikely to happen too. And as you can you see the macroalgae didn't make it either. As decorative as a wine glass may look I'd upgrade to something that's at least half a gallon, preferably one gallon...and all the problems will disappear sooner or later and you'll have a thriving colony that's fun to watch.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

I know it looks like a wineglass, but it holds a half gallon. I have a second tank I’m cycling now that holds a gallon. So I ordered snails from you to help clean/eat the brown algae on my tank walls, but lo and behold today I have my first berries shrimp!! I’ve had this tank for over 2 years and finally a momma!! I’m so excited!!
Attachments
02B33BD6-6810-43A0-9767-B5F5C147DA2A.jpeg
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Congrats! :smt026 :smt041
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

I noticed the momma is doing something weird with the eggs that makes them move a lot. I’m wondering if I’m actually watching her squeezing them out??
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

My snails arrived but I’m worried that if I add them to my tank the momma shrimp might drop her eggs. I put them in my cycling tank instead. When will it be safe for me to add some to the tank with the berries shrimp?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I'd be surprised if adding snails would cause enough of a disturbance for a shrimp to drop eggs.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

Thanks Varanus. I moved two snails over this morning and so far so good 👍
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mf1 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:37 pm I know it looks like a wineglass, but it holds a half gallon. I have a second tank I’m cycling now that holds a gallon. So I ordered snails from you to help clean/eat the brown algae on my tank walls, but lo and behold today I have my first berries shrimp!! I’ve had this tank for over 2 years and finally a momma!! I’m so excited!!
Ahhh...got it. It looks like a regular wine glass in the pic. :) Congrats on the berried shrimp!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mf1 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:36 pm I noticed the momma is doing something weird with the eggs that makes them move a lot. I’m wondering if I’m actually watching her squeezing them out??
She's just making sure that the eggs get enough oxygenated water by moving them around so that "fresh" water can flood in.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

Very cool! Momma #1 still has all her eggs and tonight I have a 2nd berried shrimp! It’s a regular maternity ward in my tank now! 😁😁😁
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! Has anything hatched yet? They should have by now.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

Yes! Sorry I didn’t update sooner, but both mommas released their babies-I’d say about 10 each! Here’s a pic of some of them when they were in the floating stage 😬 Lately I’ve seen two of them as little tiny shrimp but don’t see any of the other babies. Could they all be hiding? Could they have been eaten as babies once they were bobbing around? I’m hoping they’re just hiding!
Attachments
59100D6C-631F-46D5-A442-9965BBA23803.jpeg