new opea ula owner

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

new opea ula owner

Post by dolfanjack »

Hello everyone
I have been a lurker for the last six months and today I finally received my super shrimp (from petshrimp.com) and thought I would share. I started my 1 gallon cylinder in Oct. to give it plenty of time to cycle and grow algae. I used silicon to glue together lava rock to form caves and a vertical rock structure. For plants I have several tufts of cheato macroalgea which is growing well. The shrimp were in the mail for six days before I received them. They were well packaged and though they were very cool from being in the mail so long, they were very active. I floated the 12 shrimp for an hour before releasing them into their new home. The shrimp I got were of mixed sizes, which was great. I want to thank Mustafa for a well received package. I also want to thank all of you wonderful people for all the information I have learned by reading this forum. Jack
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: new opea ula owner

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the forum! :smt006

Thanks for the feedback! Looks like you did your research and are well prepared. Feel free to keep sharing your experiences with your new shrimp in the future. As for the package...just checked, looks like it was it got there in 4 days actually (sent out on Saturday Feb. 4th). That's a bit longer longer than then 2-3 days that USPS says Priority Mail takes, especially since we're on the same coast (so it should only take 2 days..even the east coast takes 2 days, as do most destinations). However, as you can see, the shrimp did just fine. As long as they don't literally freeze to death or boil (in the summer) they can be in those bags for well over a month. And by that I don't mean "just survive" but do just fine. :-)

Hope to see more reports and possible pictures from you soon!
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Yes. Show us what you have. :)
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

We love pictures! If you want to, please show us your tank.
dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

Post by dolfanjack »

So today marks 24 hours since receiving my supershrimp and they have settled in nicely. Most shrimp are hiding with the occasional shrimp out feeding. Here are a couple of pictures of thier home. You can see a shrimp at the very top near a bubble.
[URL=http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
[URL=http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Have a great day, Jack
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Nice! :) Thank you.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Nice looking tank. Thanks for sharing.

Ken
dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

Post by dolfanjack »

Nothing exciting has happened until today. The little buggers stay hidden a lot but that's to be expected.Today I found my first successful molt so that's good news. I will update when more fun happens. Thanks for looking,Jack
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pictures! I love how you distributed the macroalgae all over the rock. The shrimp will come out more as their food supplies where they happen to be sitting right now dwindle and they have to run around to graze. This, of course, means that you probably don't have to feed for months at this point.
dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

Post by dolfanjack »

Well it has been a week sense adding my Opae's. I have seen only one molt but no deaths (Hurray). Today the shrimp had a very exciting day, I added a horned nerite snail and the tank became a frenzy of activity. Tonight everyone has calmed down and went about their business.Until next time, Jack
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, you'll notice soon that every time you do *anything* to the tank the shrimp will swim around in a seeming "frenzy." But they'll calm down after a while.
dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

Re: new opae ula owner

Post by dolfanjack »

I have had my Opae for almost three months and today I have seen unusual behavior. Many of my Opae are swimming erratic, swimming in circles, lots of chasing. I also have seen a new molt. I'm thinking berries are on their way. I will keep everyone posted. Jack
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Timeline sounds about right! Wishing you lots of berried shrimp!
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

haha. timeline means about 3 months?

Wishing you best of luck!
dolfanjack
Egg
Egg

I have Berries!!

Post by dolfanjack »

It's official at least one of my girls are berried. Love me some Opae ul.