New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New tank here as well. Suggestions are welcomed :)

Post by Edwin »

I hope so too Arquisto. Just didn't expect them to start swimming around when most people's experience of shrimps in new tanks include a phase of hiding before exploring, especially when I did provide tons of hiding spots for them.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Day 2 of the pioneers

Only 2 of the 4 can be seen at all. Seems like they have found their hiding spots :p just hoping the other two are still kicking somewhere happily
Attachments
Looming Marimo sky island
Looming Marimo sky island
Peek a boo
Peek a boo
I'm next!
I'm next!
First in
First in
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

At 4 shrimp I hope you got a good chance of breeding because that's definitely a lot of room for them to grow in population in your tank.

I'm going to order 20.. so hopefully if I'm as lucky as you and see 10 I'll be happy.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Hey Arquisto! The 4 of them are the pioneers from my first tank to migrate to this new tank (thinking to name the tank :p) to see if this tank is habitable. I have actually ordered about 40 shrimps which hopefully come in around next week. By then, if my pioneers are doing well, they will see a whole lot of other opaes joining them in the new colony! Exciting times ahead for this colony!
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Shrimps have arrived earlier than expected! All healthy and red. Any tip on how to acclimate the shrimps?

I have added some water from my tank into the bag they came from (added about 20% of the volume in the bag) and leave it overnight. The next day, I plan to mix some water from the bag back into my tank then I start to transfer them. Is this a good plan?
Attachments
20170407_214801.jpg
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

I would transfer immediately after floating for a
Half hour to equalize the temperatures.

KenP
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Indeed, acclimating, or at least a long period of it, isn't necessary with these shrimp. As brackish water animals they are adapted to handle change well.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

I see. Thanks for the info. Does it stresses them out very much when I try to catch a few of them to transfer for example?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Edwin wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:30 pm I see. Thanks for the info. Does it stresses them out very much when I try to catch a few of them to transfer for example?
It may. Rather than trying to catch them I would just dump them all in along with the water in the bag as that gives you additional good bacteria from Mustafa's tanks.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Introduced 45 of them in and they are happily grazing whatever food they can find them in the tank! This is really fun looking at them, especially when their colours are really so beautiful!

One even mounted inside the new tank while I see another exoskeleton in the bag they were in!
Attachments
20170408_172755.jpg
20170408_172849.jpg
20170408_094916.jpg
Bob_99
Egg
Egg

Post by Bob_99 »

I have a stupid question for you. Why would you buy so many when they breed like rabbits?
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Well...the stupid answer is that there's a minimum order i need to fulfil when they ship overseas :p actually it's not a stupid question so don't worry
Bob_99
Egg
Egg

Post by Bob_99 »

No problem, I keep forgetting that this forum covers a bunch of different countries. I'm here in Wisconsin, USA, where are you? It's great to share interests with people from other countries.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

I'm from Singapore! I look forward to seeing them breed like rabbit actually. Hahaha

A pleasure to know all of you on this forum too ;)
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

Yeah. Just to get more opinions and learn more from both communities ;)

I find the people in both communities extremely helpful and welcoming :D So hopefully I can help someone else along the way too in future once I become more experienced