New SuperShrimp Fan!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: New SuperShrimp Fan!

Post by Mustafa »

Yep..that sure is a baby snail! :) Also..if you're starting to recognize them as individuals, it looks like it's time to name them. :-D
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

It's almost been a year of waiting.. and I was afraid maybe my keyboard typing was too disruptive since the tank is on computer desk.. but I see my first berried shrimp! So excited!!
IMG_20180301_213650.jpg
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

:lol:Congrats! That sure is a nice clutch of eggs for the first time shrimp Mom!
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Nice!! Congrats! I just baby snails in mine too so hopefully not too far off from berries females
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Been watching the tank for the berried female.. i thought she had dropped some over the last few days cause it looked like a smaller clutch but then i realized today I've been looking at 2 different berried females! One with a clutch of a dozen eggs another with at least double that.
Almost got discouraged when it almost came to the year mark but looks like they were waiting for the water to warm back up from the winter here.
I've read elsewhere too that the warming of a couple degrees as spring starts tends to bring with it the mating cycle, looks like it may be so for my tank.
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Arquisto thanks for the update, congratulations on the upcoming babies, and thanks for giving me hope that I might soon be seeing berried females. I've had my tank up for 4 months now with no berried shrimp but they are definitely a lot bigger than when I got them in November 2017 and at least half of them have saddles. Your comment on spring bringing warmer weather and might get them to berry was a good boost for me. I've been watching and waiting with nothing happening. :D Thanks again.
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

I stand corrected, got three berried females. Managed to get a shot with all three. Two of them have a huge clutch. From what I've read on the forums here I got about 30 days until the larvae are mature enough to get released. Hoping they'll make it to that stage.
IMG_20180313_224801.jpg
IMG_20180313_231354.jpg
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Cool shots!! Especially the one with all 3 berried shrimp!

Even if they don’t all hatch, just getting berried females one after another is great news. Best of luck!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! Your patience paid off! Next we'll be seeing pictures of larvae and baby shrimp I hope! :D
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Took longer than expected but the babies finally started coming out... And managed to snag a shot of the zoea larva still hanging onto their mother. Also.. over the last month more of the females have become fertilized and I'm pretty sure of the 20 I started with 5 females are berried and three of which had large clutches with over 15 eggs. This is going to be awesome!
IMG_20180429_224042.jpg
IMG_20180429_225650.jpg
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Arquisto wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:43 pm Took longer than expected but the babies finally started coming out... And managed to snag a shot of the zoea larva still hanging onto their mother. Also.. over the last month more of the females have become fertilized and I'm pretty sure of the 20 I started with 5 females are berried and three of which had large clutches with over 15 eggs. This is going to be awesome!

IMG_20180429_224042.jpg

IMG_20180429_225650.jpg
AMAZING photography! I, too, have been wanting to start a tank for a few years after hearing of ecospheres... My tank is cycling, I'm getting so excited scrolling through these posts and seeing wonderful pictures! Congratulations :smt007
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Love that second pic especially!
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Ace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm I don't aclimate. I tossed my balls right in there. It has been over 2 months and they are looking big and healthy.

You can see photos in Nanosphere 9.
:smt005
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, awesome, very details pics! Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

SGTSHEW wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:05 pm
Ace wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:38 pm I don't aclimate. I tossed my balls right in there. It has been over 2 months and they are looking big and healthy.

You can see photos in Nanosphere 9.
:smt005
:-D :lol: