New SuperShrimp Fan!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: New SuperShrimp Fan!

Post by Arquisto »

Hey folks...

So spring really did the job and i had over 7 female shrimps that produced eggs and at least 30 larvae now swimming about. I still have 2 more females that were late to the party and seem to be berried with healthy clutches. I've always loved seeing the photos so I want to give back and share some of the best ones that I've managed to capture.

Shots of the soon to hatch out babies..
onthermometermotherlarva.jpg
moremotherlarva.jpg
justhatching.jpg
motherlarva.jpg
Photos of the larva planktonic babies fresh out of the mother..
larvalstagewithadult.jpg
larvalstageshrimp.jpg
Here's about 20 of them just swimming where the light is strongest
Larvalplanktonicstage.jpg
Matured to the post-larvae stage next to an adult... they now just look like miniature versions of their grown ups.
postlarvaandadultmay.jpg
I've also just started a new 1/4 gallon tank, will provide photos and details in a later post.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Aww they're such a cutie, very good shot.
I've gone pretty lazy these days to monitor my tank, they are still berries around. I guess supershrimp gave me the luxury to be lazy LoL :smt005
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Those are some great pics! Thanks for sharing them :-D
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

I just found my first larvae today (4 so far). Loved, loved, loved your pics. Thanks.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome pictures as always! Thanks for sharing! :)
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Thanks everyone for the compliments & Mustafa for digging up posts and commenting on them :), appreciate how much you keep up with us.

As promised I started a new tank, its much smaller 1/4 gallon so i don't know if it'll work out as well.
It's almost a perfect cube, 4x4x5 inches. The lid is really small and enables one to fill the water pretty much to the top.
I got it at Storage Container, its acrylic and is food grade, pretty awesome for under 5$.

I moved a few of the larva into it when they were floaters and they're doing well now a month in.
Broke up some bigger OHKO/Dragonstone and some lavarock to put in there along with Mustafa's macroalgae. Got some shells in there as well to act as a PH buffer. Took water from the original tank so that I didn't have to worry too much about cycling.

I'll keep an eye on it for the next year seeing as its much smaller I want to know if the shrimp will be okay in this smaller environment... probably won't breed but we'll see. Will keep you guys posted.. I'll assume that if the shrimp eventually get big enough and turn red that'll be a good indication they may be doing okay.

Photos of the tank newly set up and next to the big one.
Oh and I'm pretty proud of my light finding for this.. the new fangled selfie lights selling on amazon for 7$ really work well for these tanks!
Make sure to get the USB rechargeable one so you can keep it plugged in and not use batteries.
IMG_20180722_120241.jpg
NewTankMay2018.jpg
Kval1015
Larva
Larva

Post by Kval1015 »

Your dragonstone has inspired me for my next tank! We will be moving in a little less than a year making the trek to Michigan from New England so I don't want to start a new tank until we are settled out there.

Dragonstone is gorgeous and really makes for a great hideout for your shrimpies!

Best of luck with your smaller tank - I have a 1 gallon myself that sits on my desk at home.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Arquisto wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:14 am Thanks everyone for the compliments & Mustafa for digging up posts and commenting on them :), appreciate how much you keep up with us.
:D It takes me a while to reply most of the time, but I try to make sure that I go through every post made here sooner or later.

How is that small tank doing?
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Small tank is doing well, got 6 shrimps in there. Growing slower than their sibblings in the larger one I believe but they're slight pink so I'll take that as a good sign.

I'm going to assume that I'll really have to see if they're happy when they hit breeding age and are not getting berried. Then I'll know for sure they need more room.
crittersni
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crittersni »

That's a really beautiful tank. How long does it take for a larva to reach breeding age? Some of mine are almost 3 months old. They've grown but theyre not as big as the adults in the tank.
Arquisto
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Arquisto »

Since it's my first time with baby shrimp hard to give you an answer but I'd imagine between 6 months to a year.. if not sooner. I'm sure Mustafa can help answer that.

Update on the large tank.. I'm still getting berried shrimp constantly after the first ones I'm April.. pretty sure I've gone from the original 20 shrimp to over 80 now.. The small tank is also doing well the guys are turning red but are a lot more timid probably cause they're all still pretty young.

Here's are some pics of me recently adding some spirulina so I can catch a glimpse of the multi generation and a close up of a shrimp and snail in the smaller tank.
IMG_20180903_012153.jpg
IMG_20180903_011901.jpg
IMG_20180903_012343.jpg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Arquisto wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:58 pm Since it's my first time with baby shrimp hard to give you an answer but I'd imagine between 6 months to a year.. if not sooner. I'm sure Mustafa can help answer that.
That sounds about right. :) Thanks again for the very detailed pics! I love seeing offspring in people's tanks!