Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Have 8-year Old Ecosystem Shrimp - Not sure what to do

Post by SuperProofer »

No, I haven't fed them since I can't remember when. They don't have green algae but a lot of brown. That tank ha never had any green unfortunately. But it doesn't seem to bother them. There is one snail in there already. There were more, but he's the only on that survived - unless there are others in the substrate that just don't come out; but he's the only one I ever see. I've done water changes in there before and it doesn't seem to change anything. It's a mystery for sure. It just chugs along in its own weird way.

My newer tank is perfectly normal - plenty of green algae, happy shrimp. I do think the most likely culprit for anything in the small jar is that sea fan. It just must be slowly decaying like everyone says. But there's really no way for me to get it out without hurting the shrimp. I had to soak it and fold it up just to get it in the opening. So for now, I just have to let it be.
Opaeula_mama
Egg
Egg

Post by Opaeula_mama »

I'm happy the newer tank is doing great. I hope the babies make it. I really enjoyed your thread.
ShrimpySue
Egg
Egg

Post by ShrimpySue »

I agree! This has been an awesome thread - best of luck!!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Thanks! It looks like the first set of babies is due any day now...
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Momma #1 had her babies on July 4th. Momma #2 is having hers today. I can't believe in just under a year this tank went from 3 shrimp in a seemingly dying and gross-looking habitat to over 30 shrimps, 5 snails that I can count and completely clean glass. Crazy!
Attachments
Babies!
Babies!
IMG_20210709_180305.jpg
Any minute now...
Any minute now...
ShrimpySue
Egg
Egg

Post by ShrimpySue »

How are your new babies doing?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

So far, so good!
attygirl
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by attygirl »

Wow - congrats!!
hydride
Egg
Egg

Post by hydride »

Hey, great experience. I’m about to do my own ecosphere transfer, do you have any advice beyond the instructions on the main site?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Not really. Just note that if the opening of the tank is too small (like in the case of a jar) it will be more difficult to put decor in or take it out if necessary or when rearranging, etc. Also, if you need to get the shrimp out for any reason it will also be very difficult.

Other than that, follow the instructions and just have patience while cycling. Easy peasy.
TankLady
Egg
Egg

Post by TankLady »

Hey SuperProofer--thanks for documenting this journey! I have recently set up a low tech planted tank for freshwater neocaridina shrimp and by day 4 they started to come up to the surface and I figured out they needed oxygen, so a regular jarrarium wouldn't work for them! I put in an air stone and now they seem ok.

I'm fascinated by your jars--so your opae shrimp do not require any oxygenating of the water and you have the jar open or closed? And you truly leave them undisturbed? I'm thinking for my 2nd vase tank that maybe I should try the opae instead. Let me know if you have tips on getting the brackish water set up properly!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

My jars have cork lids that are propped open most of the time. I just close them when I'm cleaning in the area or too many people come to the house (never know what might float in) just to be extra cautious. The open top allows for air exchange, so no other air stone or similar device is needed.

And no, I never touch the tanks except to occasionally move the decor around when the snails decide to redecorate. I never feed (I tried a couple times, but the shrimp never really seemed interested) and I've only done partial water changes when it appeared something was harming the shrimp.

As for tips, just follow the instructions on this site and don't put in any driftwood, sea fan skeletons, non-approved plants and do put in proper aquarium-safe decor and you should be fine. Patience is key. Don't try to rush through the cycling process. Good luck!
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Looks like more shrimpy babies are on the way! I think that will put the tank above 30 shrimps. But I haven't been able to get a good headcount for awhile. They move around too much. :D
ShrimpySue
Egg
Egg

Post by ShrimpySue »

Any update on your tank?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Nothing new since the last round of babies. I think they're finally taking a break. Lol It seems to have leveled off for now, but at least it's thriving again!