Help me pick the right shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jwarper
Egg
Egg

Help me pick the right shrimp

Post by jwarper »

Im looking to start a 20gal shrimp project tank. It will be heavily planted and will be primarily just shrimp (I may have a few tetras for show) The main goal is to breed the shrimp. Ive had ghost shrimp in the past that have successfully reproduced in a community tank. However im looking for a shrimp that is a bit more colorful.

My main requirements are that they reproduce easily, and the offspring are benthic (non-planktonic). If brackish water is necessary, so be it, i can do that. All I want is a shrimp that will breed easily. I have read many sites about the different species kept in aquariums, but the info tends to differ a bit. So those who have had experience with several different kinds of shrimp, which is the easiest to breed?
German
Egg
Egg

Post by German »

Caridina japonica is easy to bread.
Last edited by German on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

German wrote:Caridina japonica is easy to bread.
Look at the page http://www.wirbellose.de
This, my friend, is nonsense, or "bloedsinn" in good old German to say the least. I would recommend fully reading the posts first (or using a translator if necessary) before attempting a reply. A shrimp that produces tiny floating larvae which need brackish water/sea water to develop and survive are *not* easy to breed shrimp.

He's looking for shrimp that produce fully developed young. The Red Cherry shrimp and its wild type cousins (all Neocaridina denticulata sinensis) fit this bill perfectly. They are the easiest shrimp to breed in my experience.

Mustafa
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

Hi,

if you want a species easy to breed, just choose red cherry shrimps. They are really prolific. They can adapt to various water parameters.
German
Egg
Egg

Post by German »

Sorry, but Neocaridina palmata is easy to breed.
:oops:
äöü
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

thanks for the quick replies! Those were the shrimp i suspected to fit the bill, but I wanted some personal oppinions on the matter :D

I do have one more question though. Im also looking for a shrimp that has a longer life span. Are there big differences in the lifespans of the caridina family?
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

Hmmmm. Well, I just saw a few pictures of some really nice looking Crystal Red shrimp and I must say I am becoming quite fascinated with them. I love their coloration. Though I have read they can be a bit more difficult to take care of because they are pickier about their environment.

Mustafa, what has been your experience with these shrimp? What is the water quality you keep them in (if you have them)? I read the info about them here at petshrimp, but do you have any specific advice on them? Or should I not even consider them?

They seem to be a bit hard to find as they are not openly distributed in the US, but I saw some for sale at aquabid. I think it would be a good project for me to breed these shrimp. Perhaps this could help to increase the availability of this shrimp to our group as well.

Edit: Here is the picture I saw. Shrimp explosion! He has way to many in that tank it looks like. But look at the coloration of those shrimp! Beautiful specimens they are!
http://www.aquabid.com/uploads/fwinverts1112331308.jpg